continued furloughs at comair

dakovich

just out, next round officially set for January 19th. sorry guys. see you on the soup lines.

This sucks donkey balls.... too many friends are getting furloughed.... sorry to hear that this is happening to y'all at Comair.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I feel for you guys, really. It must be incredibly frustrating, being "wholly owned" to see companies like Mesaba, PNCL, Compass hiring while you guys are being forced to lay off. Flying that you guys could have just as easily done (except compass). While those getting furloughed didn't make the industry leading contract back 5 yrs ago I appreciate the Comair pilot group for that and will keep you in high esteem.

I feel for you guys, really. It must be incredibly frustrating, being "wholly owned" to see companies like Mesaba, PNCL, Compass hiring while you guys are being forced to lay off. Flying that you guys could have just as easily done (except compass). While those getting furloughed didn't make the industry leading contract back 5 yrs ago I appreciate the Comair pilot group for that and will keep you in high esteem.

PNCL is not wholly owned.

The problem is NWA got to start fresh with CPZ and MES allowing them to have more economical fleets and pilot groups. Comair is saddled up with tons of 50 seaters that aren't the hot commodity they once were. The cost alot per seat mile and they have to pay a lease on top of that. I think Comair will be the shiznit again in about 7-8 years. Look at what happened with Express I(pinnacle) and currently is happening at XJ. I think after a thorough beat down Comair will be back better than ever with new planes and pilots. Anderson and Steinland are very good at that dance.

I didn't say PNCL is wholly owned. I said it must be frustrating being in Comair's position (being wholly owned and furloughing) while companies such as Mesaba, PNCL and Compass are hiring. Comair having 50 seat aircraft IMO has nothing to do with who gets the next batch of ultra-shiny-ultra-sjs-satisfying-900's.

I said it must be frustrating being in Comair's position (being wholly owned and furloughing) while companies such as Mesaba, PNCL and Compass are hiring.

I believe Mesaba is the only one hiring out of those three at this point. I know for sure that Compass is not and I don't think PCL is either (but I know what you mean).

What I don't get is could they have not thought ahead?

Wasnt Comair one of the last regionals that were still hiring low-time guys before the hiring wave came to a complete and aburpt stop and things were not looking good?

Now they are furloughing all 2007 new hires?

Good luck guys. I'm nervous about my job too.

What I don't get is could they have not thought ahead?

Wasnt Comair one of the last regionals that were still hiring low-time guys before the hiring wave came to a complete and aburpt stop and things were not looking good?

Now they are furloughing all 2007 new hires?

Good luck guys. I'm nervous about my job too.

I'm sure that they were looking ahead as best as they could. I'm sure DL provides the a few months in advance with some sort of block hours estimates as well as estimates of a/c. I think Comair had ramped up hiring in anticipation of receiving some of the super shiny horribly paying CRJ900s. Shortly thereafter those aircraft went to some other NW/DL carrier, I can't even keep them straight. Seems like everyone has giant RJs flying for DL.

Comair did ramp up hiring for a short period last summer in expectation of Freedom's 145 contract getting canned. 300 pilot were to be hired and things seemed it would work out. For a about 2 months we had a huge increase in block hours. I finally was a line holder for the summer (after more than a year of reserve) Comair planes were the only RJ's you saw around the JFK horseshoe at Terminal 2. But now not so much.

I'm out the door here. Not sure what I'm doing yet. I threw my stuff into Mesaba to see what happens. Problem is, even if I do wait for recall, its still going to be a 5 or 6 or more year upgrade. It seems like they're doing the exact same thing they did to Mesaba. Shrinking us down to nothing. Maybe in 5 or 6 years we'll be properous again and upgrade will be two years. But I just can't wait that long. So I'm probably outa here for good.

Hey Sax-

I think you've got my digits, if not, PM me and I'll get 'em to you.

If you need anything, let me know.

Back