Continental to recall 240 pilots from furlough

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Continental to recall 240 pilots from furlough

HOUSTON (AP) — Continental Airlines will recall at least 240 pilots from furlough by next spring, the airline announced Thursday.
About 30 pilots per month are expected to be recalled as part of a special agreement between the Houston-based airline and the Air Line Pilots Association.

Continental said the recalls are in addition to the 197 pilots brought back since January.

Currently, 436 Continental pilots are on furlough.

[ QUOTE ]
I believe all are coming from ExpressJet. Good news for both parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

These the flowback guys? I heard EJ didn't really care for that part of the contract.

There are many flowbacks still at ExpressJet even though the flow-through agreement has since been dissolved. Not all furloughs are at XJT... some went elsewhere as I understand. Plus, not all flowbacks are former CoEx pilots. Some were OTS hires that took the flow-back without prior CoEx flying.

Recalls should be about 25 per month until all 240 or so are back on property. That's the way I understand it.

I could probably leech some intel from my friend Hermann who was a CoEx CA then flowed thru to CO and then sent back to CoEx CA.

Now where did I put that email address? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I could probably leech some intel from my friend Hermann who was a CoEx CA then flowed thru to CO and then sent back to CoEx CA.

Now where did I put that email address? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One Major in my class is a former 117 guy that went to Continental in 97 and was furloughed. Flowed back to CoEx as a CA on a RJ (or whatever the hell they fly), then took a return to active duty with the AF, and is back in the 117. He figures if he gets a recall, he can pull the mil leave thing (I guess, good for 5 years) to maintain his seniority, do his last 2 years in the AF to get his retirement, then return to CO.

Bringing up airline stuff is an easy way to get him fired up...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want to really get him riled up, talk about the three-way CO/NWA/DAL merger that's rumored! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to really get him riled up, talk about the three-way CO/NWA/DAL merger that's rumored! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man.......I asked him about airline management inefficiency once....I may as well have set off an A-bomb.

He went on a rampage about how Continental came up with some great idea to replace the 767 on south america routes and replace it with a 737 version (700 or 800, don't remember) in order to be more efficient. Problem is they could get all the pax to the destination, but the baggage would have to be shipped separately; so I guess no one considered that cost.

ALL of the money is in cargo on those routes. That's what happens when you have accountants running an airline. The CASM is probably lower with a 737, but you lose bulk cargo carriage capacity. But the beancounters haven't realized that if "Airline A" flies to central America with a low CASM (Cost/available seat mile) jet, what is the opportunity cost lost from inability to carry profitable cargo?

"Ain't no money in cargo" -- sure Ron...ya'fired!

Aww jeez, now YOU got me going!

[ QUOTE ]

Aww jeez, now YOU got me going!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Yeah, he'll start ranting in the squadron bar, then get pissed because the beer gets warm, then start breaking the tap because it isn't working.....

.....all because of my question..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Next time you see him, tell him that I said that most airlines are run my animatronic monkeys. The monkeys goofily trip over stacks of $1000 bills to pick up a quarter, then they bound around proud of themselves, bump the light switch to the OFF position. They're afraid of the dark and can't figure out where the light switch is and they burn the the stacks of $1000 bills for light. Then they blame the janitor because there are ashes and smoke from burning cash everywhere!

Oh dangit! Ya got me going! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Not all furloughs are at XJT... some went elsewhere as I understand. Plus, not all flowbacks are former CoEx pilots. Some were OTS hires that took the flow-back without prior CoEx flying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all furloughs even made it to XJT. The D.O. where I work was too junior to hold on at XJT after he was furloughed from CO in 10/2001. I guess there's around 80 (I think thats what he said) that are in that same boat. Eventually they were offered positions at XJT, don't remember when that was. So they were furloughed from both CO and XJT "on paper"...at least thats how I understood it.

Our Chief Pilot at my flight school (ex-flight school? who knows) was a CoEx FO on the ERJ. He got recalled, but turned it down. Can't blame him. Right now he's making more $$$, makes his own schedule, and he's home every night.

[ QUOTE ]
Our Chief Pilot at my flight school (ex-flight school? who knows) was a CoEx FO on the ERJ. He got recalled, but turned it down. Can't blame him. Right now he's making more $$$, makes his own schedule, and he's home every night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well lets see how long that lasts ...

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah well lets see how long that lasts ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta be honest, I don't know what's going to happen to Air Orlando. I mean, the helicopters were fine, but the aircraft fleet got TRASHED. I think they have like four airworthy aircraft right now, and they're all single engine. Two of them are DA-20s. I would hate to be an instructor there right now.

You know what though Kell, they are all out flying today. I've been watching them taxi in and out.

Maybe they will pull through after all.

Yeah, I'm heading over there later on (you gonna be around?) to see what my options are. If they can lay hands on a twin, I'll stick around. If it's gonna be a while, no point in hanging around Florida with both my wife and I not working and me not flying.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I see Memphis in your future??

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they get a twin on line in the next couple of days, I see Memphis by the weekend, actually. There's a couple of options I'm looking at. Sallie Mae is being none too helpful right now, though. More than likely, I'll be back in O-town for about a week after they get one of the Senecas fixed. They said N76RM (the one laying on its belly in the pics) is very fixable. The other Seneca had a DC-3 land in it, so it's got some nasty airframe damage.

My main problem is I have $4500 left on my account at Air Orlando, which is MORE than enough to finish my multi commercial. After talking to Sallie Mae (which is where that $4500 came from), they told me my only real option is to send that money back to apply towards my principal balance and apply for another loan at another school. Well, that's great for them, but then I would be making TWO loan payments and paying another loan fee and originating fee. Not gonna happen, can't afford it. So, I'll probably circle the wagons in Memphis until they get the plane fixed, come back down here for a couple of weeks when they get the plane fixed (I've got friends I can crash with), and then head back up when I'm done. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to get this all done by the cut-off date for the Jan PACE interviews, so I'll either be doing PACE next summer (depending on Mesa's hiring at the time) or going to ATP and getting my instructor ratings.

Back