Considerations

kostcoguy

I was wondering if going to Embry is worth it? I meen, most likely if you go there you are going to get some type of job that has to do with aviation, but is it one of those schools like Devry (technical school, doesn't teach much else aka trade school), or is it a respectable university that just specializes in aviation? I am considering Embry or just getting my PPL at an FBO soon and going to a bigger name all around school such as Penn State or U of O. Is any aviation school worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will graduate in the Summer from Riddle and I would recommend going to a different school and flying at an FBO on the side. Sure you learn alot about flying at Riddle that you probably don't at most places but you do miss out on alot of the college experience when 85% of your school is guys. Will having the words "Embry Riddle" on your resume help you get a job? Maybe, it definately won't hurt you but do you want to invest $100,000 to find out.

I went to Riddle last summer. I would recommend against it. It was probably the worst decision I have made in a long time. Riddle has a very good name and awesome academics, but the price, flying, and social life make the experience horrible.

The price is out of hand, and the set up of their flight program makes flying a chore. I enjoy flying much more , now that I am not flying with Riddle. All of my friends at Riddle complain about it and dislike it, I see no reason to go there...

Just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
and the set up of their flight program makes flying a chore

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't flown at Riddle since December when I finished my CFII, but have heard they have made even more rules about flying. You have to wear your id at all times on the ramp, and they have set up about 12 practice areas that are limited in the number of Riddle aircraft each. So if you want to go to a different area to practice a maneuver you have to get permission from the flight desk. I think one of the worst rules is the long pants one. It's so much fun sitting in a 100 degree plane in the middle of summer with jeans on.

You are paying too much at Riddle to put up with that. I hated the long pants in the summer rule. I also thought the 2 knot taxi speed limit on the ramp is rediculous. It is juts a bad idea to go.

The 2 kt rule is there for safety and on that level has its merrits. There's just too many people walking around.

I grad'ed in dec. and havn't been on the flight line since before then, so I havn't heard about the practice area rules or the ID policy.

The increasing costs are insane. Riddle prof's expressed their concern of increasing price with a declining economy.

The social life could be better. I think we made 100's of drives to orlando over the weekends. Some things seem to be improving though, like the Ocean Walk.

If I had to do it again i might....well, who knows.

over here in Sanford we here rumors that at the ERAU Daytona Campus the students dont fly at all during their freshman year and when they do start flying it's only once a week? Any truth to this? I heard things were okay in Pheonix though.

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't flown at Riddle since December when I finished my CFII, but have heard they have made even more rules about flying. You have to wear your id at all times on the ramp, and they have set up about 12 practice areas that are limited in the number of Riddle aircraft each. So if you want to go to a different area to practice a maneuver you have to get permission from the flight desk. I think one of the worst rules is the long pants one. It's so much fun sitting in a 100 degree plane in the middle of summer with jeans on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the practice area rules, in my opinion, are a good idea. There are a lot of aircraft out there and keeping control on the amount of traffic in one practice area is beneficial. I remember calling over "Riddle Traffic" my position one day, clearing the area and spotting about three various aircraft in my vicinity. Scary stuff!

I think the ID thing might be required by the feds, I'm not really sure. You may be required to have a picture ID on to be in an airport operations area, and some of the foreign students may or may not have drivers licenses.

Riddle is a good school from what I saw (I visited when I was wondering where I should go), however the price is sooo (sooooooooooooo) high that it makes the school not worth it. If you can get your parents to pay 100% then it is not an issue for you, though it will be a strain for them.

The advertising campaign makes it seem like it's the *only* place you should go if you want to fly airlines (or that going there = an airline job) and that is of course not true. The other issue is that an aviation degree from Riddle won't help much if the medical goes kaput.

I decided not to go there due to the $$$, and the fact that NO ONE there was a member the opposite sex (at Prescott anyway).

And wherever you go... go for the school, people, and academics, then figure out where to flight train. Doing it the other way around will be no fun.

Back