Confused about logging time in logbook

cuy

Hi, i'm currently working towards getting my PPL. I haven't soloed, but will soon. Anyways, I was wondering, when you solo, or in the future when you are alone on your own, how do you fill out your logbook? Because right now, my instructor fills out my logbook after each lesson. But i don't know if I will have to personally fill my logbook on my own. Is it even possible, and if so how would someone else know that what you logged was even true? To put it more broadly, how does logging time when noone else is there to verify it relate to the hours that airlines consider when hiring. I mean, do they care if you logged 1000 PIC or solo in a C-172? I'm just lost and for a good while have never fully understood this matter. Please help me understand.

Don't really matter who fills out the logbook. The important thing is that your instructor endorse it. You can fill it out if you want too, when I was at UND they did it for me, since they keep track of my hours. Airlines tend to look at total time, multi, turbine, Part 121 or 135 experience and instrument.

This is certainly a subject you should discuss with your CFI. After all, it's his job to teach you that stuff. If you're flying with an instructor, the CFI must sign your logbook. If you're flying solo, or as a private pilot after you're rated, then it's up to you to log your hours and attest that they're legit. It's an "honor system", but don't get caught logging bogus time--the FAA will have your ticket faster than you can blink!

Its like golf...what you write on your scorecard(logbook) is based on the honor system. Except in flying they can always pull the logs for the aircraft you said you logged time in if someone really want to check!:banghead:

Hi, i'm currently working towards getting my PPL. I haven't soloed, but will soon. Anyways, I was wondering, when you solo, or in the future when you are alone on your own, how do you fill out your logbook? Because right now, my instructor fills out my logbook after each lesson. But i don't know if I will have to personally fill my logbook on my own. Is it even possible, and if so how would someone else know that what you logged was even true? To put it more broadly, how does logging time when noone else is there to verify it relate to the hours that airlines consider when hiring. I mean, do they care if you logged 1000 PIC or solo in a C-172? I'm just lost and for a good while have never fully understood this matter. Please help me understand.

Ask your CFI to train you on filling out the logbook. You're gonna wanna know how to. As far as integrity is concerned, like others said, it's all about you. If I were an interviewer and I wanted to verify 1000 hours of 172 time or Learjet time, most of it should be verifiable in one way or another. During the interview, there often isn't time right then so I would ask questions that revolve around that time and the airplane. After the interview I would follow up with a verifiable source.

Hi, i'm currently working towards getting my PPL. I haven't soloed, but will soon. Anyways, I was wondering, when you solo, or in the future when you are alone on your own, how do you fill out your logbook?
You fill it out. Your CFI should go over this with you when the time comes.

Because right now, my instructor fills out my logbook after each lesson. But i don't know if I will have to personally fill my logbook on my own. Is it even possible,
Sure its possible. You can fill out your logbook on every flight if you like. But your CFI has to endorse all the dual flights or they're not worth the paper they're written on as far as the FAA is concerned. Since your CFI has to endorse those entries, it usually works better to have him or her fill them out.

and if so how would someone else know that what you logged was even true?
How would anyone else know? They likely won't, but the are always exceptions*. It's the potential penalties for falsifying log entries (loss of cert, loss of career, etc) that keep the honest people honest for the most part.

To put it more broadly, how does logging time when noone else is there to verify it relate to the hours that airlines consider when hiring. I mean, do they care if you logged 1000 PIC or solo in a C-172?
Well 1000 PIC in a C172 is not going to get any airline excited about hiring you. The airlines, along with most other employers, want to see previous work experience. And previous work experience can often be verified so its more difficult to falsify.

*As I said there are exceptions. There was a DE in my area who once had commercial checkride (IIRC) with a guy who must have been on a career path. This applicant figured the best way to get the hours required to get a job was to lie about them and so he started doing so while he was still a private pilot. The DE noticed several entries in the guys logbook which had a familiar N-number so he asked the applicant how it was that he had logged time in that particular plane. The applicant said the plane was owned by a friend of his and that his friend had allowed him to borrow the plane several times. The DE said well then we've got a problem because that is the N-number of my own personal airplane and I don't recall allowing anyone to borrow it. The checkride kind of went downhill from there. :sarcasm:

*As I said there are exceptions. There was a DE in my area who once had commercial checkride (IIRC) with a guy who must have been on a career path. This applicant figured the best way to get the hours required to get a job was to lie about them and so he started doing so while he was still a private pilot. The DE noticed several entries in the guys logbook which had a familiar N-number so he asked the applicant how it was that he had logged time in that particular plane. The applicant said the plane was owned by a friend of his and that his friend had allowed him to borrow the plane several times. The DE said well then we've got a problem because that is the N-number of my own personal airplane and I don't recall allowing anyone to borrow it. The checkride kind of went downhill from there. :sarcasm:
If that's true, it's a wonderful story. If not true, it's still pretty good :)

You *As I said there are exceptions. There was a DE in my area who once had commercial checkride (IIRC) with a guy who must have been on a career path. This applicant figured the best way to get the hours required to get a job was to lie about them and so he started doing so while he was still a private pilot. The DE noticed several entries in the guys logbook which had a familiar N-number so he asked the applicant how it was that he had logged time in that particular plane. The applicant said the plane was owned by a friend of his and that his friend had allowed him to borrow the plane several times. The DE said well then we've got a problem because that is the N-number of my own personal airplane and I don't recall allowing anyone to borrow it. The checkride kind of went downhill from there.

Agree with Mark.

Owned.......with the resultant beatdown. What an uncomfortable checkride that must've been!

I've heard that same basic story, but with different players. As I said, most flying IS verifiable, one way or another. If you owned a plane, there's evidence of that. If you flew for a flight school, you'll have evidence somewhere. You have to. I could see if someone flew for a company that is trying to stay "under the radar", but that is just plain taking a chance. I have yet to hear the "company under the radar" version of that lengendary story.

If your friend takes you flying and you fly right seat with him, are you allowed to log that time if you are a student pilot without a medical?

The applicant said the plane was owned by a friend of his and that his friend had allowed him to borrow the plane several times. The DE said well then we've got a problem because that is the N-number of my own personal airplane and I don't recall allowing anyone to borrow it. The checkride kind of went downhill from there. :sarcasm:

Wow. That is classic.

I've also heard that story a bunch of times, attributed to different examiners, so the odds are against this DE being the one involved.
If its internet folklore, its internet folklore. But I do know that the DE involved does indeed own a cherokee which he kept outside (where one could copy down the tail number) at a local airport. So that part of the story at least checks out. Or at least he did own a plane at the time. This was years ago, I'm not sure if he still owns the plane now. I saw it listed for sale on one of the internet sites a year or so ago.

If its internet folklore, its internet folklore. But I do know that the DE involved does indeed own a cherokee which he kept outside (where one could copy down the tail number) at a local airport. So that part of the story at least checks out. Or at least he did own a plane at the time. This was years ago, I'm not sure if he still owns the plane now. I saw it listed for sale on one of the internet sites a year or so ago.

Are you talking about Haines? He moved to FL a few years ago.

Back