Confidence

jholloway_1

I finished my private last december, and I'm getting real close to finish my Instrument. I'm having a real problem with building my self confidence. I had the best grade in my private groundschool class (at OSU), and got a 98% on the written. I also was one of the first students to pass my checkride. I'm have about 115hrs now, and I still get nervous before any solo flights. I always feel that I don't know everything I need to know before each flight. Obviously I don't know everything being that I have 115 hours, but I really think that I should have more confidence in myself.
Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Do most people feel this way at my stage of training? Any advise would be great

I used to be the same - I would get slightly nervous before I went flying, but as soon as I got in the aircraft I was fine. It was at around 150 hours and when I was flying 2-3 times a week that it went away. I think it is just one of those things that will go away with time.

I was exactly the same back when I had that many hours. I'd bet that most people feel the same way as you do and I did. I think the reason is because you're so used to that 'safety net' your instructor provided, and now you're out there on your own.

Go to www.rodmachado.com, he's got some good articles regarding fear: basically use it to sharpen your skills and stay alert.

I got through that period by forcing myself to fly at least once a week, and I kept a notepad of the things I could improve on for the next flight.

...not that I'm fearless now, just 'professionally concerned', as naunga put it.

I know exactly what you mean. I start to sweat alot when flying. It got to the point where I started wearing a hat to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Back