Computers @ ERAU

eau_d_toilette

Well, since ive gotten into this forum, all my ERAU questions have a venue for enlightenment. so here is another thought that needs some light, for those ERAU alumni, which would you prefer to have had during your time there, a laptop comuter or a desktop. Given all the possible scenarios and instances, i definitely need some help deciding which to bring. Thanks.

I would have been happy with just a PC... (I had a computer, but it was an Apple IIE; yeah, I'm old...)
smile.gif

You have to consider that there is a likely chance that your computer will become "the community computer" - all of your roommates and neighbors in the dorms will want to use your computer, with or without your permission. Also with 5 roommates in the dorms, chances are pretty good that people will be able to walk in and out at will, so there is the chance of theft of a laptop. But, with a laptop, you can lock it up when you aren't using it, so that has it's advantages also.

If you have visions of sitting in class and taking notes on a laptop, it's one of those things that sounds good in theory but sucks in real-life.

Just my preference, with all other things aside, I much prefer to write long papers on a desktop. Laptops are great for writing short memos or checking e-mail on the road, but for writing long term papers, I hate that little keyboard and mousepad. If you do go the laptop route, I suggest an external keyboard/mouse and a decent sized monitor.

But, whatever you take to school, expect it to be shared...

[ QUOTE ]
Well, since ive gotten into this forum, all my ERAU questions have a venue for enlightenment. so here is another thought that needs some light, for those ERAU alumni, which would you prefer to have had during your time there, a laptop comuter or a desktop. Given all the possible scenarios and instances, i definitely need some help deciding which to bring. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehehe... When I was at Riddle, the last semester of my Senior year I finally got a computer... It was:

Tandy 4000
80386 running at 16 Mhz.
1 MB RAM
3.5" floppy
NO Hard Drive
VGA Video card
640x480 VGA Monitor (Color)

What a machine this was, compared to my roommates Tandy TL2 which was an 80286 running at 8 Mhz. with 640K RAM...

I'm not at Riddle (well, not the campus at least), but here's my suggestion. I would go with the laptop. Riddle has a Wi-Fi network (in DAB at least), so you could write papers or reports AWAY from your dorm. Sometimes it's nice to get out and do stuff like that, and you feel less of a prisoner when you're writing a ten page report on the economics of open skies or something like that.

I am probably going to take a notebook computer along. Like what Copaman said, I plan on getting an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor along too. Specifically, I am looking into one of these:

A0022142.jpg

It is a Universal Docking System for a notebook computer. Has anyone ever tried these?

Also, the possibility of theft is a big issue for me… after mysteriously misplacing 3 TI-83 calculators during my high school days after leaving my backpack unattended, what do you expect?
smirk.gif
crazy.gif

Anyways, where is a good place to lock my notebook up when it is not in use?

Thanks,
William

Back