Completed CFI, CFII, MEI at Atlanta

difete

Hello friends.
I was back from Atlanta last week, and could not write the details till now due to catch up on chores.

Well, what can I say to you. What AllAtps says, they do, and they have proven this to me once again. On my previous post (Getting Ready for Two Week CFI/CFII/CFM) I told you all I would be embarking on an awesome adventure to Atlanta.

Well, this is their Flight Instructor 15 day course:

DAY1: I started with four other guys. Two of them were career pilots. One was based at Manassas up North, and the other luckily a local from the Atlanta region. The other student non-career like me, also a local from Atlanta. Day one was all ground. Pretty much we started covering everything in the MEI PTS. Every subject, every required TASK and Advisory Circular was examined and understood in detail. After 8 hours of ground we all went home.

DAY2: Another intensive day of ground, still covering the PTS, FARs and AIM like champions. Then after lunch, spin time. The instructor took us on a Cessna 172 and from 4500ft above Atlanta we were introduced to what I called "The most aggressive maneuver" I have experienced in flight training. After demonstrating proficiency in entering and recovering from Spins, we were back on the ground for some more book work.

DAY3: Weather in Atlanta does not look good. We started practicing teaching lesson plans one to each other. A good tip to remember here in this section of training is to memorize and use proper vocabulary. Call them the rudders, not the pedals. Call it Asymmetrical thrust, not wobbling tendency. Call things in aviation terms to be more understandable to the examiner and the student. : Confused:

DAY4: Weather is bad. We received news on changes in plan of action. The two career pilots will be flying to Stuart FL, to do their MEI check rides. The Local and me would be leaving in two three days to join the two career pilots at Stuart. Today they prepared me for the CFII also. We flew on minimums. The Flight Instructor at Atlanta was very pro; I flew my first ILS to minimums that day
wink.gif
It was an unforgettable experience.

DAY5: Still more ground, and flight training to prepare me for the CFII also.

DAY6: Still more ground, and flight training to prepare me for the CFII also.

DAY7: Still more... just kidding, here I was sent to Stuart FL in a Delta flight with the local fellow. We arrived, and were told by Dispatch to rent a car. Hertz was running a special on convertible Ford mustangs, so you might imagine what I chose; after all, I am in Florida right?
cool.gif

We met the two career guys; both of them did their MEI check ride, and passed. We all went at night at a local restaurant to celebrate, and to get a complete briefing on all details of the check ride. Again I must say, we all went on my convertible.
wink.gif

I wanted to study that night for the next day, but was so worn out of FARs I just fell asleep.

DAY8: One of the career students did his CFII check ride this morning. He busted. He was shooting the ILS and the examiner failed an engine, he did everything right, but still lost the localizer. "Then he noticed he forgot to feather the inop engine prop." The group's morale went low. It was my check ride this afternoon. I did pretty well; MEI is not a hard check ride. Is just as a Multi-Commercial from the right seat. I passed.
laugh.gif
We went to a restaurant that night and uplifted the career pilot's morale that night.

DAY9: The Career pilot did his retake and passed it. All went well. The local from Atlanta did his check ride MEI, and Busted. He dropped 250ft on a steep turn, and did not brake out of it. Morale goes low again in the team. I was about to go for my CFII that afternoon, but evening T-Storms discontinued the check ride.

DAY10: In the morning the local went up to retake his MEI check ride. He passed. I did the CFII and passed to. No problems. I did make sure no engine would remain unfeathered during the ILS. The examiner was awesome. We all knew that he was fair, and that our fellow companions busted check rides for silly things they did not pay careful attention to, and that it could have happened to any of us. You are tense, and too many things happen that you must stay ahead in the Seminole. The afternoon was spent at the beach. Again I must tell you, with my convertible beside me.

DAY11: Returned to Atlanta. One thing I was jealous from the Career pilots. They were going to Jacksonville that day to take their Citation ride.
mad.gif
Oh well. I still have the convertible though.
grin.gif

DAY12: Just a tough day to travel back to Atlanta.

DAY13: Preparation for CFI check ride. Studied the Cessna 172 POH, and reviewed regulations. Was not going to be a tough check ride.

DAY14: Flew the Cessna 172 IFR in actual conditions to Huntsville AL, for the CFI check ride. All went well, except that I forgot to memorize the speeds for the Cessna 172. The examiner gave me a hard time on that, but still passed. One word of advice here: On the CFI PTS you must demonstrate a 180 degree power off approach to a landing, and must complete the landing between 100 feet of the selected spot. If you do the AllAtps route please tell your instructors to practice this one. It’s hard, and examiners are getting pickier on this one.

DAY15: DONE!!!

Well, thanks again to AllAtps, I am a satisfied costumer.
grin.gif
They did all possible things to get me through on those 15 days, even flied me to Florida. I don’t know of any school doing this for its students.

Maybe you might be asking why em I not being detailed on what we studied or on how were the check rides. I only need to say this: AllAtps will prepare you, and give you the tools to succeed. The instructors know the examiners, and know how to train you for that exact day of the check ride. All you have to do is bookwork, follow their checklists, and fly the plane. To God be the glory for this accomplishment in my life.

And by the way, 5 of us took the course, and 5 of us made it through. We called ourselves the "fellowship of the Seminole"
wink.gif

Congrats! I am pretty darn jealous. Just one question, how much right seat time did you have in singles/twins before heading to Atlanta? Thanks for the post!

Happy Flying
grin.gif

Thank you all.
Yes I am now a CFI at the local FBO I got my ratings at. It is extremely slow, no students yet, and expecting any until the war eases out.

I had no right seat time before going there. After about 3 hours of seating on the right seat of the Seminole, my right hand started getting adjusted and the left in holding the throttles. It’s not hard really, when you are training you are so concentrated in performing the maneuvers that you forget you are seating on the right.

Just a tip, I know every CFI teaching a CFI student will tell you, is to keep the center line of the runway between your legs as you are coming into landing. But is not hard at all.

Today I rented the Cessna 172 at the local school, and went for a ride just to keep all those skills sharp. Funny, I felt unproficient on the left seat, and did better from the right. But it’s just a matter of getting use to it.

I have gone out and gave business cards and fliers in many places, but no one calls. I spent all afternoon at the airport, and no soul showed up. Its just war time, I must be patient. If any of you are CFI, any tips are appreciated.

For the folks that busted their 1st checkrides, did ATP tell them if that's going to be a point against them while seeking employment? Not that I'm saying it will be but I would like to know for my own info. I've taken the Private, IFR, Cax and passed each one. I'm dreading the CFI due to the failure rate. That's one of the reasons I want to go to ATP. One last ques: How current with you before you went there? I hav't flown in a very long time due to both wars (terrorism and Iraq)........ What was there suggestion to you before you arrived for instructor training?

Thanks

Joe

Oops!!
I forgot that I wrote this threat. Sorry for not answering your questions. Well, I dont know if it counts against you for being hired in Allatps, because I am not working for them, neither I went for their 90 day course.

One thing I tell you. That Total CFI Course Rocks!
If you are thinking in going over there to this course, fly a couple of approaches, and stay current on your stalls, slow flight, and all Private, and Commercial maneuvers. Master the lazy eight, and the turns around a point, and specially the 180 power off approach with no engine.

Tail winds and Fair skies!
www.cfitellez.4t.com

Back