Competitive States for ATC

Just a hunch, but I would probably think the ones with the most high level facilities such as the NY area, Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, etc. I really have no idea though.

Competitive? About the only state I can imagine people wanting to go but probably not being accepted would be Hawaii...other than that, the chances of getting one state over another just depends on what is needed for that state...California is pretty easy to get...most likely, if you put California down in your preferences, you'll be going there.

Does anyone know how accurate the Air Traffic Control Staffing Database is? I'm sure most of you have been there a time or two, but to those who haven't, here it is: http://data.gannettnewsservice.com/airtraffic/stateair.php
I guess I'm just curious if whether or not this is a reliable source. If so, this looks to be a pretty good indicator of what each facility's staffing needs are and would be a good place to visit when deciding our prefs. Thanks in advance

Does anyone know how accurate the Air Traffic Control Staffing Database is? I'm sure most of you have been there a time or two, but to those who haven't, here it is: http://data.gannettnewsservice.com/airtraffic/stateair.php
I guess I'm just curious if whether or not this is a reliable source. If so, this looks to be a pretty good indicator of what each facility's staffing needs are and would be a good place to visit when deciding our prefs. Thanks in advance

I wouldn't trust that site, it is dated. I think those statistics are over a year old, maybe older. Besides it seems with all the retirements/washouts/etc the staffing numbers are changing all the time. What you hear one day could be complete different the next.

Competitive? About the only state I can imagine people wanting to go but probably not being accepted would be Hawaii...other than that, the chances of getting one state over another just depends on what is needed for that state...California is pretty easy to get...most likely, if you put California down in your preferences, you'll be going there.

This is what I like to hear. I'm starting to think I might want to go to California but was unsure of my chances, so if true, this is good news for me.

I spoke to a controller in New York a couple months back, and he told me the same thing. If I picked New York, I would be going there.

If that website is accurate, then I'm SOL.

My #1 is 79% staffed and has 6 trainees, and my #2 is 87% staffed, and has 0 trainees. Gee.

Don't forget, the data collected from the above staffing link was from 2006. Controller staffing has been drastically reduced since then due to the IWR's/controllers retiring immediately when eligible, etc.

Back