Compass growing soon?

Were you told the classes would be around January?

The chief pilot that visited us really didnt elaborate on when these were being started. Between training and ATP/PIC Type rating things the schoolhouse is busy.

When im back at work tomorrow i'll ask around, but would be surprised if anyone knows with certainty.
(Keep in mind i'm also DTW based-so the MSP people that are closer to the offices/training may hear things sooner in that base than we would)

The most recent rumor I heard was five E175s from a defunct South American airline are on their way to Compass for additional Delta flying

I thought Compass was at the max allowed airframes already.

Proactive engagement!

Come on... Limits are limiting! Don't you want a profit sharing check? Oh... Wait...

Sent from my Colecovision Adam

There is a cap on the large RJs. Something like only 36 of the 89,000lbs 175s. I guess the can operate any number of smaller ones, as part of the overall DCI max of 325.

36 89k is correct. Shuttle America also flies the 175 for DAL at a slightly lower mgtow (i believe 86k) and very rarely does that 3k difference come in to play. Those specific 36 airplanes are also tied to the flow through, if the flow ends then Delta loses 36 outsourced large rj airframes completely. Thats why they kept the flow down in place 'indefinetly'. They are trying to make it right for those hired post-flow though, now telling those guys that they "will" at the very least receive an interview with Delta when their number comes up.

You are correct in that they can operate additional airframes up to the DAL scope limits which i understand are in process of increasing as 717s arrive.

Personally I think it's a funny indusutry when a company can be that picky for a $24 an hour, entry level job. Oh well...

I would agree if the training didn't cost $30,000, you never upgraded to captain, and it were easy to terminate bad apples. Unfortunately, the hiring process and probation year are the only times that can weed them out. If someone is at risk for washing out of training, it's better to find him during the hiring process than during training. And if you have a test that can indicate the personality traits that make for a jerk or bad captain, weed them out before probation. Please.

Yes, the tests cut a little deeper than they have to, but that's to be sure fewer people slip by.

Reapply in 6 months, and apply what you learned in this round. You'll be fine.

PhilosopherPilot said:
I would agree if the training didn't cost $30,000, you never upgraded to captain, and it were easy to terminate bad apples. Unfortunately, the hiring process and probation year are the only times that can weed them out. If someone is at risk for washing out of training, it's better to find him during the hiring process than during training. And if you have a test that can indicate the personality traits that make for a jerk or bad captain, weed them out before probation. Please.

Yes, the tests cut a little deeper than they have to, but that's to be sure fewer people slip by.

Reapply in 6 months, and apply what you learned in this round. You'll be fine.

If I didnt have to shell out 10,000 a year in student loan costs from my own training and school I would agree with you.

Back