Commuting

I am curious to know what pilots charge for commuting. I imagine it depends on distance but does anyone have a range? If one pays for commuting and has to rent an apartment where the operation is it doesn't seem like there will be much money left on the paycheck. Especially for a newbie.

Not sure what you're getting at here? Commuting is free unless you are doing it internationally. Jumpseating and non-rev travel on your own airline is no charge, that's why commuting is possible.

Commuted for 4 years, had a 2 years break and now finishing up year 5.

It is doable but everyones situation is different. I rent a crashpad and that works for me - of course I am only paying $175/month and in Chi town I can live with that. It also doesnt hurt that home is only 3 hours down the road.

Also remember that you may need a second car or you have to rely on public transportation and in some places I wouldnt even consider that.

I personally wouldn't wish dispatch commuting on my worst enemy. I did it for exactly 1 year and will never do it again. You have the expenses of finding someplace to live 4-5 days a week, then all of the lost time flying. I was absolutely worthless on day off number 1. Day off number 2 I was back to normal and enjoyed being home. Then it was back to work the night of #3. Really wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Those that have made it work, more power to ya.

Passriding on other carriers will cost you in the form of ZED fares if you don't have a reciprocal jumpseat agreement with that carrier. Non-revving on your own carrier is usually free (that can sometimes get sticky with the regionals). Jumpseating is always free domestically.

I personally wouldn't wish dispatch commuting on my worst enemy. I did it for exactly 1 year and will never do it again. You have the expenses of finding someplace to live 4-5 days a week, then all of the lost time flying. I was absolutely worthless on day off number 1. Day off number 2 I was back to normal and enjoyed being home. Then it was back to work the night of #3. Really wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Those that have made it work, more power to ya.

Exactly Pilots and F/A 's can block a bunch of days off when they commute but dispatchers usually work a regular schedule with maybe 4 days on 3 off. Thats the problem with any other airline worker they have pretty much a standard schedule. So commuting while doable is not as much of an advantage as it is for Pilots and F/A's.

"passriding and not jumpseating" What is the difference between these?

As a jumpseater you are on the plane as a guest of the captain and an extra crewmember. As a passrider you are a guest of the company. Passriding is an employment benefit extended to all of an airline's employees and to those who can purchase reduced rate ZED fares.

It would depend on where you live, if you live in a city like OMA that flys into a hub like ORD, JFK, ATL or DFW then it maybe easy specially if you work for that airline that flies into the city you live in. It is hard to do for most people, if you are single, then it maybe easy for you. Good luck!

As a jumpseater you are on the plane as a guest of the captain and an extra crewmember. As a passrider you are a guest of the company. Passriding is an employment benefit extended to all of an airline's employees and to those who can purchase reduced rate ZED fares.

Well put, Alek.

Back