commuting BDL to JFK or IAD

matt152

Hi everyone. I'm looking for input on whether I should shoot for being based at JFK or IAD. I will be commuting from BDL (Hartford, CT).

There are a few more direct flights to IAD on larger equipment, so maybe that would help in getting a seat? In a pinch I could drive to JFK if needed, but that would be about 2.5 hours in favorable traffic.

Is JFK more likely to experience delays than IAD?

Anything else I might want to consider?

Thanks for your thoughts; I'm new to all this! :)

PLUSES for IAD
-IAD delays will be much better then JFK delays.
-The equipment that flies BDL-IAD is much bigger and often times has two jumpseats (airbus).
-Two airports you can fly into (IAD/DCA) with Airways providing LOTS of seats to DCA.

MINUSES for IAD
-Lots of United (and Airways) commuters who will have higher priority then you.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for input on whether I should shoot for being based at JFK or IAD. I will be commuting from BDL (Hartford, CT).

Wow...Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

If I were you....JFK...it's a no brainer. Really.

You already have the answer in your original post. Drive it.

Hartford to JFK is 2.5 hours depending on traffic. Driving to work will empower you! You will leave giving yourself extra time for traffic, but you will leave when you want. Then, when you're done with your trip you'll never have to worry about making your commute home, if the flight is on time, if it has space etc. You'll just go to your car and be done with it.

Worried about a winter storm the next day? If you fly to work you're looking at spending all day at the airport to maybe get a seat. You will be sweating it the day before, and the day of. If you drive it, you won't have to worry about it.

Plus let's say you get done at 3pm...There are flights at 4pm and 8pm. You'll hope to make the 4pm, then let's say it's oversold and you don't get on or you miss it. Now you're stuck to MAYBE getting on the 8pm. If you had your car you wouldn't have to worry about a thing.

Well...I hope I caught you in time. Drive to JFK. You'd have to be crazy to choose to fly to either JFK or IAD.

Drive to JFK.

Thanks man! I think you sold me on driving to JFK. I was reluctant to consider it, mainly at the thought of having to do all that "clutch in, clutch out" on the Van Wick. And the cost of gas. But all the reasons you mentioned are excellent.

Now all I need to do is pass training. :laff:

Back