Commuting as a Dispatcher

Dude you are lucky to even have jumpseat and be in CASS and that airlines have commuting clauses for dispatchers. I know other airline employees that commuted and didnt have the jumpseat as an option. That is a pilot perk. Your FAM rides can be done on your own metal you have no reason to be in CASS . Be happy you can OAL in the jumpseat no matter what your boarding rank. AA has always been first come first serve anyway.

DL is also first come first served unless it’s another DL pilot or dispatcher

This sounds like either a pilot, a die hard company man, or some sort of disgruntled, senior, airline employee who hates any kind of change or progression and their views are that they had to suffer, so should everyone else. I can just picture the vein bulging out of the forehead…

Flights don’t go anywhere if we don’t dispatch them. We hold 50% responsibility and operational control. We pre-plan and watch for safety issues the entire way of the flight from start to finish, following easily 15+ flights simultaneously at a time. Diversions, medical emergencies, mechanical emergencies, bad weather, fuel, weight issues, ATC issues, tarmac delays, crew MOT issues and so much more. The FAA allows us to jumpseat in the cockpit, just like a pilot. If this isn’t the Captain of the flight I’m trying to take, I could give two $h!ts what this person’s opinion is. I’m talking strictly about a clause that protects from getting bumped for no good reason when legitimately commuting to and from work and home on one’s own metal. Many dxers would love a commuter clause to match what other airlines who value their dispatchers already have. Rising tides and all that…

By the way I did confirm some answers I needed from DL dxers about their commuter clause:

-A DL dispatcher can reserve their jumpseat 5 days out to commute to work.
-3 days out to commute home.
-And even 1 day out for leisure trips. Once reserved no one can bump them, except FAA or a line check.
-You would have to establish a home airport or surrounding nearby airports so you can’t just say you’re commuting to and from anywhere (unless you’re doing the 1 day leisure travel reservation).
-Although it very rarely happens, as long as you prove you were listed and actively attempted to get on 2-3 flights you aren’t dinged if you absolutely can not make it in (like in the case of meltdowns or extreme irops that keep you from getting on the planes).

Good benefit and info to have for any airlines that may be negotiating soon.

This sounds like either a pilot, a die hard company man, or some sort of disgruntled, senior, airline employee who hates any kind of change or progression and their views are that they had to suffer, so should everyone else. I can just picture the vein bulging out of the forehead…

Flights don’t go anywhere if we don’t dispatch them. We hold 50% responsibility and operational control. We pre-plan and watch for safety issues the entire way of the flight from start to finish, following easily 15+ flights simultaneously at a time. Diversions, medical emergencies, mechanical emergencies, bad weather, fuel, weight issues, ATC issues, tarmac delays, crew MOT issues and so much more. The FAA allows us to jumpseat in the cockpit, just like a pilot. If this isn’t the Captain of the flight I’m trying to take, I could give two $h!ts what this person’s opinion is. I’m talking strictly about a clause that protects from getting bumped for no good reason when legitimately commuting to and from work and home on one’s own metal. Many dxers would love a commuter clause to match what other airlines who value their dispatchers already have. Rising tides and all that…

By the way I did confirm some answers I needed from DL dxers about their commuter clause:

-A DL dispatcher can reserve their jumpseat 5 days out to commute to work.
-3 days out to commute home.
-And even 1 day out for leisure trips. Once reserved no one can bump them, except FAA or a line check.
-You would have to establish a home airport or surrounding nearby airports so you can’t just say you’re commuting to and from anywhere (unless you’re doing the 1 day leisure travel reservation).
-Although it very rarely happens, as long as you prove you were listed and actively attempted to get on 2-3 flights you aren’t dinged if you absolutely can not make it in (like in the case of meltdowns or extreme irops that keep you from getting on the planes).

Good benefit and info to have for any airlines that may be negotiating soon.
When can their pilots reserve the jumpseat though?

When can their pilots reserve the jumpseat though?
Anytime. The exact words I was told were the DL dispatchers use the same reservation system as the pilots. Delta actually treats dxers of equal importance, since responsibility is shared 50/50. So a jumpseat reservation would be like any other business that takes reservations, first one to reserve gets the seat. Again you could only reserve it specifically for commuting between your stated commute cities in the 3-5 day time frame said above, or 1 day out for leisure, which is phenomenal the dxers have that leisure option as well. If no one reserves the jumpseat then it’s first come first serve to whoever gets to the gate first that day.

Back