Commuting as a Dispatcher

rburton164

Can anyone give me any insight on how difficult it is to be a commuter in this career field? I have no idea and would love to know how others do it and make it work for them.

I commuted for a while and it’s pretty doable, it just sucks. You’ve got to be flexible and sometimes look for strange connections between different carriers. I used OMA a lot by flying in on WN and out as DL, you just gotta be careful if you have to clear security again that you can get a security document. Cargo requires some preplanning, but they’re the best if you can make it work.

The biggest issue I had was working for a small regional and GAs not knowing how to clear or list me. I normally flew AA and eventually had a kind GA teach me how to walk future GAs through listing me. The way you list has changed a bit since then (more carriers use ID90 now), but you’ll still sometimes run into issues.

I commuted for a while and it’s pretty doable, it just sucks. You’ve got to be flexible and sometimes look for strange connections between different carriers. I used OMA a lot by flying in on WN and out as DL, you just gotta be careful if you have to clear security again that you can get a security document. Cargo requires some preplanning, but they’re the best if you can make it work.

The biggest issue I had was working for a small regional and GAs not knowing how to clear or list me. I normally flew AA and eventually had a kind GA teach me how to walk future GAs through listing me. The way you list has changed a bit since then (more carriers use ID90 now), but you’ll still sometimes run into issues.
Did you try and maneuver your schedule to have more time on more time off? Was that difficult or even a thing?

Did you try and maneuver your schedule to have more time on more time off? Was that difficult or even a thing?

I tried and sometimes it went well, other times not so much. It was a small shop and I was 24 hour ready reserve/vacation relief for the first few months so I was beholden to the whims of management. Once I got a schedule line and found a few people willing to trade shifts things got way easier. I commuted for about a year there.

I made a lateral move to a larger regional that was local to me where it would have been much simpler as there were fewer start times and 4-5 times the number of dispatchers. At the Major I currently work for we actually have commuter protections.

I tried and sometimes it went well, other times not so much. It was a small shop and I was 24 hour ready reserve/vacation relief for the first few months so I was beholden to the whims of management. Once I got a schedule line and found a few people willing to trade shifts things got way easier. I commuted for about a year there.

I made a lateral move to a larger regional that was local to me where it would have been much simpler as there were fewer start times and 4-5 times the number of dispatchers. At the Major I currently work for we actually have commuter protections.
What's your commuter clause like? My shop is in contact negotiations and looking to add some protection this go round. PM me

I would say your mileage will vary. Commuting “generally” works out for dispatchers provided you can shift swap your way into a better schedule. I did it for almost 2 years. My tip is if you’re starting at a regional and looking to commute, aim for working at one like Endeavor or Envoy, or other regionals that are in major cities. That will leave you with better options for getting in and out and you won’t have to drive for hours or take a connecting flight (hopefully) depending on where you go. If you work at a regional like SkyWest or Air Wisconsin you might have a harder time getting in and out of St. George or Appleton and would have to drive to Vegas or Milwaukee.

This becomes less of an issue at the majors, as most of them already have decent schedules built in and they are all based in major cities.

Just keep a razor and some jumpseat chic’ clothing and you’ll be good to go. I’m glad I had the option to do. Even happier that I no longer have to do that. It wears you down and I wouldn’t recommend it as a long term solution.

So im in school and soon to be certified and I understand majors are a long way out, but lets take united for example.

If I could end up anywhere I wanted it to be United since you work out of Sears Tower. I love Chicago, and if I have to go to work every day it would be cool to go to such an iconic building. But lo’ and behold they are moving the Arlington Heights for NOC.

No public transit so if you want to live in Chicago where things actually happen (young fella who loves the city) it’s very annoying. How do you find balance between your home base and where you work since most majors are in big cities where traffic sucks and the US lacks good public transit (Chicago is pretty decent but theyre moving… that irks me so much lol)

At the Major I currently work for we actually have commuter protections.
Im guessing you’re talking about Delta, they are the only major I know of so far that has a dispatch commuter clause and protection. I too would love to hear details of the protection because AA is preparing for negotiations next year. I would absolutely love commuter protection added to our contract and I know many others there would as well. Please share.

How do you find balance between your home base and where you work since most majors are in big cities where traffic sucks and the US lacks good public transit (Chicago is pretty decent but theyre moving… that irks me so much lol)
Take a book from the pilots and have a cheap airport car. Otherwise fly into ORD, blue line to like half way between downtown and the airport (I do this), and then just drive to work.

Lots of people currently commute in UA DX. Its very doable

Take a book from the pilots and have a cheap airport car. Otherwise fly into ORD, blue line to like half way between downtown and the airport (I do this), and then just drive to work.

Lots of people currently commute in UA DX. Its very doable
I will say, one of the benefits of moving to the burbs is the NOC’s proximity to ORD. Even in bumper to bumper traffic you can go from NOC to the terminal parking in less than 30 minutes.

From a professional commuting UA dispatcher.

Park your car at the United Res facility (just north of ORD) - take the 221/223 bus to Rosemont CTA stop, then the Blue line into ORD. Adds about an hour but is the cheapest.

Another option is take Uber/Lyft from Res to the ORD Kiss and Fly. (ORD Car Rental Facility), then take the train to the terminal. Cost about $10 one way. Taking Uber/Lyft all the way to the airport runs around $25 oneway.

Least favorite and time consuming, from the Airlington Heights NOC, take the Pace Bus 604 to the NW Transit Facility, transfer to the 606 to the Rosemont CTA, then Blue Line to ORD. This one is not fun.

As Bustedcropdust says, 30 min is about right.

Did it for over a year for a fling, now we’re married and have kids.
My $.02
Download the ALPA app and become very familiar with other airline procedures as a just in case. Last thing you want is to miss out on getting home cause you didn’t know how an airline likes to accept you. Stock up on little treats for GA’s and FA’s, a small piece of candy makes a world of difference sometimes. Keep a spare change of clothes in a backpack. Don’t skip out on cargo airlines if their routing works. Have fun! Welcome to the party!

Oldie but goodie. Flew home for the holidays. Tried to JS my way back to base afterwards along with the rest of the country. Long story short ended up getting as close as possible to my destination, rented a car, and DROVE the rest of the way back. But as long as you get back to base in time for work thats what matters. PS You can save money on the rental car by renting AIRPORT to AIRPORT. Car rental companies dont like to hire transport groups to move cars between airports so you get discount on the rental in exchange for moving the car for them.

Im guessing you’re talking about Delta, they are the only major I know of so far that has a dispatch commuter clause and protection. I too would love to hear details of the protection because AA is preparing for negotiations next year. I would absolutely love commuter protection added to our contract and I know many others there would as well. Please share.

Not Delta, WN. The simplified version is you have to list for 2 consecutive flights and not make it on either (there’s a caveat that reduces it to one flight). Then you have 60 days to pick up a shift in open time as payback.

Fairly certain someone at AA should have our CBA so you can peruse the exact language.

I would say your mileage will vary. Commuting “generally” works out for dispatchers provided you can shift swap your way into a better schedule. I did it for almost 2 years. My tip is if you’re starting at a regional and looking to commute, aim for working at one like Endeavor or Envoy, or other regionals that are in major cities. That will leave you with better options for getting in and out and you won’t have to drive for hours or take a connecting flight (hopefully) depending on where you go. If you work at a regional like SkyWest or Air Wisconsin you might have a harder time getting in and out of St. George or Appleton and would have to drive to Vegas or Milwaukee.

This becomes less of an issue at the majors, as most of them already have decent schedules built in and they are all based in major cities.

Just keep a razor and some jumpseat chic’ clothing and you’ll be good to go. I’m glad I had the option to do. Even happier that I no longer have to do that. It wears you down and I wouldn’t recommend it as a long term solution.
All of this...and...
keep your housing expenses down...way down...like if you can rent a room and pay less than $500 a month...do it...and look at downsizing wherever you're commuting in from.

Live with mom and dad, still? AWESOME...do it!

At a regional, you don't make enough money to live a good life in two places.

Staying at a hotel while working at a regional: don't do it. you will go broke.

Training contract bonus/moving expense reimbursement at a regional? Don't do it. Those places are usuallYV toxic.

40 hours of wages should pay for your housing in both places...if you can't do it...just consider relocating. Because trust me: from experience...it will become a stress all its own.

Not Delta, WN. The simplified version is you have to list for 2 consecutive flights and not make it on either (there’s a caveat that reduces it to one flight). Then you have 60 days to pick up a shift in open time as payback.

Fairly certain someone at AA should have our CBA so you can peruse the exact language.
Thanks I got the WN details, good to know.

I had heard at DL their dispatchers are able to full on reserve a jumpseat up to 5 days out before the day they fly and basically no one but the FAA or a line check can bump them out. Not even commuting pilots. And then they too have the protection of proving you attempted to get on 2-3 flights if for some reason you weren’t able to make it. That takes a massive amount of stress off dispatchers trying to commute. At AA any pilot can bump any dispatcher at any time except when you’re doing your annual FAM flight (but even then it’s a battle with gate agents and some pilots half the time). But it does not matter if you have more seniority or checked in first… You could be a 20 year dispatcher trying to commute to and from work, and a pilot fresh out of class traveling for leisure or vacation or whatever bumps you. Every time. Makes non revving even more difficult now, especially with heavy flight loads and so many revenue standbys these days. I don’t know about others, but it’s the first airline I’ve personally worked at where pilots bump you every time no matter what. So was hoping someone from DL could clarify this. Would be amazing to add a clause similar for commuters or at least some sort of protection to our new contract down the road.

Thanks I got the WN details, good to know.

I had heard at DL their dispatchers are able to full on reserve a jumpseat up to 5 days out before the day they fly and basically no one but the FAA or a line check can bump them out. Not even commuting pilots. And then they too have the protection of proving you attempted to get on 2-3 flights if for some reason you weren’t able to make it. That takes a massive amount of stress off dispatchers trying to commute. At AA any pilot can bump any dispatcher at any time except when you’re doing your annual FAM flight (but even then it’s a battle with gate agents and some pilots half the time). But it does not matter if you have more seniority or checked in first… You could be a 20 year dispatcher trying to commute to and from work, and a pilot fresh out of class traveling for leisure or vacation or whatever bumps you. Every time. Makes non revving even more difficult now, especially with heavy flight loads and so many revenue standbys these days. I don’t know about others, but it’s the first airline I’ve personally worked at where pilots bump you every time no matter what. So was hoping someone from DL could clarify this. Would be amazing to add a clause similar for commuters or at least some sort of protection to our new contract down the road.

Dude you are lucky to even have jumpseat and be in CASS and that airlines have commuting clauses for dispatchers. I know other airline employees that commuted and didnt have the jumpseat as an option. That is a pilot perk. Your FAM rides can be done on your own metal you have no reason to be in CASS . Be happy you can OAL in the jumpseat no matter what your boarding rank. AA has always been first come first serve anyway.

Tell me you're not a dispatcher without telling me you're not a dispatcher...

Dude you are lucky to even have jumpseat and be in CASS and that airlines have commuting clauses for dispatchers. I know other airline employees that commuted and didnt have the jumpseat as an option. That is a pilot perk. Your FAM rides can be done on your own metal you have no reason to be in CASS . Be happy you can OAL in the jumpseat no matter what your boarding rank. AA has always been first come first serve anyway.

Back