Commuter Aircraft Ideas

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Imagine you needed to commute about 25nm back and forth each day for work. What aircraft would you be looking at? In this scenario you would only use the aircraft for the commute - no need to carry pax.

Interested in people's thoughts.

Imagine you needed to commute about 25nm back and forth each day for work. What aircraft would you be looking at? In this scenario you would only use the aircraft for the commute - no need to carry pax.

Interested in people's thoughts.
Is this a real question, or one of those "if you won the lottery" deals?

If the former, then yeah, a 150/152 would be fine. If the latter, then a Extra 300.

Is this a real question, or one of those "if you won the lottery" deals?

If the former, then yeah, a 150/152 would be fine. If the latter, then a Extra 300.

It was a real question - was talking with some friends at another airport nearby.

My first instinct was the 150/152 as well, but I didn't realize how much they've gone up in price. Used to be you could get a good early 70s model for less than $20k. Not anymore it seems.

It was a real question - was talking with some friends at another airport nearby.

My first instinct was the 150/152 as well, but I didn't realize how much they've gone up in price. Used to be you could get a good early 70s model for less than $20k. Not anymore it seems.
It depends a lot on the pilot insurance/endorsements) but there are some great 2-4 seat planes in the 20-30k range. I saw a sweet little Luscombe recently right around 20 that would be great for this.

Is this a “body of water” type obstacle that makes the logistics of flying faster than ground transportation?

Edit: just hopped on Controller for a quick perusal of the listings and wow, prices have gone up. Thinking Cherokee 140 at this point.

Last edited:
I basically do this every day for my CFI job. If I could commute from VKX (I want DCA but can’t do that) to JYO every day I would. The biggest problem is that IAD is in the way. Can’t always get the East Side Transition either.

There are TWO decent 150s on the bulletin board at the field right now for $18,500 each. I just paid $16k for a car...so I could commute....to JYO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Schweizer 300 — no calendar life limited parts.

Yeah no calendar limited parts, no time limited parts, in fact no parts at all. If something breaks and you don't happen to have a spare ship sitting around waiting to be cannibalized then you're SOL.

Lake Buccaneer.
Will work just as fine for the distance, but has the added value of a super fun craft for the nearby (and not so nearby) lakes.

Glassair 1 or 2.

Back