Common HR interview questions?

Luigi

I figured since a lot of people (myself included) seem to be looking for jobs I figured I'd start a thread in which we can post some simple interview questions (and perhaps the more experienced people can post some answers). This way people who haven't had an interview yet, or are soon to interview have a few things to think about:

What's your greatest strength? Weakness?

Why did you become a dispatcher?

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Why do you want to work for (insert company name)?

Why did you leave your last job?

And most importantly of all:

Do you have any questions for us?

I figured since a lot of people (myself included) seem to be looking for jobs I figured I'd start a thread in which we can post some simple interview questions (and perhaps the more experienced people can post some answers). This way people who haven't had an interview yet, or are soon to interview have a few things to think about:

What's your greatest strength? Weakness?

Ability to prioritize my work load and get the job done right the first time and if I don't then to learn from my mistakes so that it doesn't happen again.
I was always told to turn the weakness into a positive such as trying to make my work perfect and how I over focus on something yet I have a good balancing system where things are done correctly the first time. ( notice how I correlate both of these questions )

Why did you become a dispatcher?

I answer this one honestly in my case coming from the management side and a friend asked me to take the course yad yad yad

Where do you see yourself in five years?

This question you want to be assertive and say something like I want to contribute as much as possible to your company in the position I've apply for. Then go on saying where you see yourself in five years such as a supervisor etc etc

Why do you want to work for (insert company name)?

Make sure to do your research about the company! I usually look on their website and see what their ethics are or if they have modules and go off that it will make the interviewer know you've done your research.

Why did you leave your last job?

I always use the phrase no room for growth and that your ready for a new challenge.

And most importantly of all:

Do you have any questions for us?

Always always have at least five questions to ask them! I once had a interviewer tell me that all the questions i asked was the reason they hired me! So it does make a difference. You can find sample questions all over the internet if you get stuck in a rut.

Honestly these would be my answers (I'm sure someone on here will rebut my answers) but you should think of your goals and aspirations! Hope this helps, good luck!

Some I got recently:

"What is the most important quality of a good employee?"

"Have you ever had to work with anyone you didn't get along with?"
or
"Ever had a boss you didn't like?"

Tell me about a time you were convinced you were right about something, but your boss though you were wrong. How did you handle it?

Honestly I don't think providing a list of interview questions helps anyone. If anything you just come off sounding rehearsed.... Imho

Honestly I don't think providing a list of interview questions helps anyone. If anything you just come off sounding rehearsed.... Imho

The point is not to rehearse answers per se, but to think about the question, understand what it's asking, relate it to you own experiences, and answer it in a way that presents a picture of who you are and how you do things. I refer you to the "Captain doesn't like his alternate" thread. Things are not always what they seem when it comes to interview questions.

I certainly see your point, but when I go in for an interview I like to think before hand "what am I going to be asked?" For instance I know I always have problems with "what's your greatest weakness" and when I say "spiders!" It usually doesn't go over well.

The folks interviewing you don't want you to rehearse answers, but they do want you to come prepared with your very best "tell me about a time" stories. Want to know my best interview trick? I only bring about ten stories to an interview. These are a "the Best of Mike" collection in the categories of customer service, CRM, aeronautical decision making, non-aviation achievements, challenges and opportunities for improvement etc..

Each story has a conclusion and a moral (here's what I learned...)

The trick is that you have to be able to think on your feet and modify the story slightly to fit the question you are asked.

We are all good at hangar flying, and that's all an interview is. Professional hangar flying.

Back