Commerical Pilot Checkride

PurduePilot

I have my commerical pilot checkride tommorow (Thursday, December 18) from 8am - 10am (EST). I'm really nervous. I have read the oral exam guide and I've covered stuff that isn't in there, so I don't know how much more I can be prepared than that.

The weather is supposed to be poor tommorow, leading to what could be a 2 hour oral. I guess I can take solice in the fact that the examiner has a really tight schedule and the checkride has to be over at 10.

Hopefully the weather will hold and I'll be able to fly.

At any rate, I'll let you folks know the moment I get the license!

Wish me luck!

Good luck to you...hopefully you never run into the situation that I did during my instrument checkride. The weather was too bad to fly, so I decided to go ahead with the oral to get it out of the way and it ended up being a 3 1/2 hour oral exam! Really most of it was BSing about different stuff, but the DE obviously wasnt in a hurry to get out of there, so he kept talking, and talking, and talking.....My checkride was 1.5 so it ended up being a 5 hour ordeal, which I suppose isnt completely out of the ordinary.

[ QUOTE ]
At any rate, I'll let you folks know the moment I get the license!

Wish me luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

No way dude.

Luck is not a factor!:)

Sounds like you're prepped and ready to go.

Oh heck, okay.

Best of luck to you.
grin.gif

I'm sure you'll do great.

Thanks guys for all the wishes of good luck! I appreciate it.

Sorry, I haven't responded to this until now. I've had a whirlwind of a past couple days, but that's for another thread at another time.

At any rate, the oral went off really well. There were only a few things I got dinged on. He tried to trick me up with a few things such as requesting an SVFR clearence into a Class E (to the surface) and what barrier speed is based off of.

The flight portion was postponed until sometime in January. I'm on vacation until the 11th and he's (the Examiner) leaving for a vacation in Hawaii until that time too, as he is a Purdue employee.

Thanks again guys!

Congrats on the oral!

[ QUOTE ]
He tried to trick me up with a few things such as requesting an SVFR clearence into a Class E (to the surface) and what barrier speed is based off of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you get it through the FSS? And what is barrier speed?

Thank you Ed!

The question I was refering to about the Class E airspace went like this:

Your friends have invited you down to Danville, IL (a class E from the surface to 1,200') for a steak dinner. They are going to pay all the dinner expenses and you really want this dinner. You check the AWOS and find the weather is clear below 12,000 and the visibility is 2 miles. Can you get in?

Answer: I replied, "no, you need at least 3 miles."

He told me to double check that. I never even thought you could get an SVFR clearence into an uncontrolled airport.

Also, I would guess that you would contact the controlling agency (in this case it would be Champaign, IL).

About barrier speed: That's Vx in the Warrior. It's based off temperature. I said it was based off the weight of the aircraft and runway type (dry, wet, paved, or turf). He told me to look that up.

All in all, I studying way more than I needed to for this. There were some things I just glossed over in favor of the more obscure items (different altitude types etc).

[ QUOTE ]
He told me to double check that. I never even thought you could get an SVFR clearance into an uncontrolled airport.

[/ QUOTE ]Have you had a chance to check yet?

We often think of SVFR as applying to controlled (towered) airports rather than to all airports that are located in areas where controlled airspace go to the surface (including Class E surface areas). It's a common error, probably just as common as the exact same error we make about it's cousin, the 1,000' ceiling requirement for takeoff and landing.

In the absence of a tower, the "controlling agency" for SVFR is exactly the same people you'd call for a pop-up IFR clearance.

I asked those questions to my instructor shortly after the oral concluded. Since it was bad weather and no one was flying, it turned into a group discussion with all the rest of the instructors who were around.

My instructor was the one who told me that I could ask for an SVFR into DNV once I told him about that question.

uhh, yeah. SVFR is kind of a goofy thing for an instrument rated pilot ( which I assume you are) to get asked about. If you're going to have to contact center for a special clearance you might as well get an IFR clearance....

And what is barrier speed?

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to have to contact center for a special clearance you might as well get an IFR clearance....

And what is barrier speed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, unless you are in a non-IFR plane. And it is not night of course...

Yeah, where did he (or you) get this term barrier speed. Looks like a few of us have never heard of it before. Can you edjumacate?

Back