Commercial Oral Exam...

BTAcola

Looking for people who have just taken their commercial ride. Specifically any questions that you can remember on the oral? Besides whats in the PTS, and Airspace, and holding out, etc etc... what are some good oral exam questions for a commercial oral ride?
thanks

BC

My examiner was big on knowing what the A/FD had to offer. I learned from him, just because an airport on the sectional doesn't have tick marks...does NOT mean it is without av gas...always check the A/FD if you have a question about anything airport related. Knowing airspace was a big topic, and cloud requirements....152( thousand above, 500 below and 2000' away from. Sometimes Class C or D goes to class E...nice to know the times of Tower services, found in the Airport/Facility Directory. During the ride, when he asks you to DIVERT...get out your plotter and draw a line to named airport. Can be tricky when it comes down to it so get some practice. For the most part, the commercial ride was fun and without any big surprises. Good Luck!:rawk:

Looking for people who have just taken their commercial ride. Specifically any questions that you can remember on the oral? Besides whats in the PTS, and Airspace, and holding out, etc etc... what are some good oral exam questions for a commercial oral ride?
thanks

BC

When are you suppose to take your ride? Got mine coming up in the next couple weeks as well.

You might get examiners that ask a couple questions and move on, or you get ones that are very thorough on certain items. All I can say is sit down and spend a lot of time with the PTS.

Know what "hoding out" means and what you can/can't do with a CPL. That's probably one of the most confusing areas for a new commercial pilot.

Go through the PTS and know all that. Then get the gouge on your examiner and find out what his special obsessions are.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/65b548d01a3dfec3862569ba0068955e/$FILE/ATT9P2M3/AC120-12A.pdf

mine only had 3 questions:

can we fly this airplane in known icing?
what is the maximum baggage we can put in the baggage compartment
and are we within weight and balance

good luck

Ya thanks guys... I'm a furloughed 121 guy, just started CFI'ing again and wanted some more insight on common questions that have been asked recently..... He got a 98% on his written and is pretty much has the oral guide down pat, i just wanted to expose him to new questions... thanks fellas... and ladies..

BC

mine only had 3 questions:

can we fly this airplane in known icing?
what is the maximum baggage we can put in the baggage compartment
and are we within weight and balance

good luck

Seriously? Maybe I should take my ride where you're at. :laff:

Ask him what an STC (supplimental type certificate) is. I got asked that on my commercial and never have forgotten it since.

Back