Commercial is done!

Josh

As of this afternoon, I finished. I'll give a quick run through below:

Ground, which along with some chatting on other topics included review of airspace types, and a number of other things on the 'what is this' pointing to a sectional. Explain how to recover from a spin. Explain gear system. Weight and balance (which I had already predone, via an excel spreadsheet, with a number of options) with some specific numbers given, and 'take out fuel so we can go, if we can'. Along with that, figure out density altitude at the field given (Mammoth, which is over 7100'MSL) and a nice hot temp, and low pressure, brough DA up over 10000'. Way beyong the limits of an Arrow for takeoff. A few other random ground things I'm sure I'm forgetting about right now.

Flight portion was .9hrs. Soft takeoff, and back to 180 power off precision since that happened to be no one in the pattern. Taxi back short field T.O. Was going to go for another landing, but went from 0 to 5 in the pattern or entering the area. So continue out and climb. Clear area, slow flight, turn. Clearing while turning, so into power on turning stall. Lazy 8s. Chandelle a couple times. Steep spiral. Pick a point and do 8s on pylons. Re-enter pattern for soft field landing. My first, the power off 180 was a pretty darn short on the point landing too, so that combined those I guess, and that was a bit of a x-wind on the landings. Taxi in. Got a "that was all great, I'll see you inside".

Then spent a bit of time taking suggestions for CFI work which is schedule for 3 November right now for the checkride.

Josh

Congrats on a smooth ride!
smile.gif

It would have been less but I did Lazy8s through 4 turns, and did a few laps around on the 8s on pylons. Examiner was talking to me throughout, so think maybe he was just seeing how distractions were handled. We did spend about .2 of it on the ground, taxi out, and back after the landings, so I'd guess it was maybe .7 in the air actually
smile.gif

Though I'd rather have had .7 on the ground oral part, and a couple hours in the air.

Well, CFI is schedule with the DE for 3 November. But I'm not sure that will work out. Will see how things go over the next couple weeks, and he said, if you know you are not ready the week before, give a call and reschedule. Doesn't want to see a fail on that, which it sounds like is getting way too common from a lack of readiness of applicants.

I'm going to follow the Jeppesen outline, though it is set up for 141 training, to make sure all topics are covered at least. Makes it easy to direct the training, even if like me, you are not at a 141 facility. Skip the stage checks and it seems it'll work out pretty well.

I haven't been on any IM systems in a while, though I still have a couple names registered I think with the big 3 or 4 services.

I just passed my Comm ride on Friday. I think that I got about 2 hours of sleep thinking about everything that I needed to do the night prior to the test. But all went well. Ground was about three hours long with administrative stuff and questioning. The flight portion took 1.8. Probably would have been a bit shorter but 5 news helicopters and a comms out pilot took up orbit on the southside of the airport.

I was told by the examiner that the biggest area that pilots fail check rides is on the power off 180 and eights on pylons. My eights could have been a bit better, but all went well otherwise. Also I was told by her that the fact that I talk to myself and actually was teaching every part of the flight to her really helped her understand everything that I was doing. She said that alot of pilots get nervous or just don't like to talk. Also if you made a mistake, point it out and explain why it was wrong and how you will correct the situation.

All in all it was a 6 hour ordeal. I then went home, was given a beer by my wonderful wife, and passed out for about six hours.

Thanks to all for the info on this website. Doug thanks for creating this awesome jetcareers site. All info was good info. Now on to the CFI
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I then went home, was given a beer by my wonderful wife, and passed out for about six hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I then went home, was given a beer by my wonderful wife, and passed out for about six hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What did your wife put in your beer - be careful man!!!

Back