Commercial/Instrument Multi Add-on

Brandon

Did the addon with ATP out of Bowling Green over the weekend. The instructor took me through all the maneuvers a bunch of times and I felt confident going into the ride. The examiner was a really good guy, I don't like to use names but if anyone is around BWG I would highly recommend going there for your checkride, he is the only examiner on field.
Anyways, the oral was straight forward, covered systems, emergency procedures, v-speeds, critical engine, Vmc, other stuff related to engine failure. Got in the airplane, did a short field takeoff, followed by a short field landing (turned way too late on final and drifted wide, which got me the question "Is that what the traffic pattern looks like in Canada?" I put it out of my mind and focused on the next task which was another lap around the pattern followed by a normal landing.
Then climbed up and smoked my steep turns, did slow flight and followed it up with a power off stall, then a power on stall. Then he had me drop the gear, set climb power and climb at blueline...and dumped an engine. Quickly cleaned up the gear, identified the engine, feathered and cutoff the engine. I was at 5,600 MSL with a hard deck of 5,500 so it took some work to keep the sucker up there. After doing a 180 degree turn to simulate a turn back to the airport he let me restart the engine and then I went straight into the Vmc demo. After that I did an emergency decent back down to 2500 and put on the hood for vectors for the ILS. Just before I intercepted the localizer out goes an engine...tricky guy did it with the fuel selector and had been chatting quite a bit to get me distracted, anyways, not a problem did the engine out checklist and flew the single engine ILS, went missed (both engines) and got vectors for a two engine ILS back in. That's it. Anyways, like I said the examiner was a great guy and if you are in KY/TN/IN in the vicinity I would highly recommend him. I was also very impressed with all atps multiengine program, but I'll put a separate thread about that in the ATP forum.

Man,I've got mine coming up on the 10th and have about 4 hours of training in and have tried everything you mentioned on your ride, except the fact that I can't do them worth [expletive deleted] YET. I'm sure things will pick up, but my mind seems to draw a blank as soon as the engine is pulled.
Firs thing I think of is FULL FORWARD, FULL THROTTLE, Retract FLAPS, RETRACT GEAR, Identify, VERIFY, Hold 88. After that, I gotta pull out the checklist and start fumbling around with holding headings and so forth when I pull out the checklist.
My MEI pulled the left engine on me yesterday while beginning to intercept the localizer. Man I was in for a shock, I went straight threw the localizer and only caught it after my MEI pointed it out to me. But he also said that throwing a gear failure critical engine out ILS approach with the glideslope out is hard when its your first time. Oh well

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I would just chair fly when you are not flying and imagine what it's going to look and feel like when you lose an engine and go through your engine out procedures until you don't have to think about it anymore.
The only time I ever took out the engine out checklist is to secure an engine which was already feathered and cutoff, and then to air start it. And then I concentrated on flying the airplane, working through the checklist slowly, one item at a time.
My MEI said a lot of people concentrate on checklists too much and not enough on flying the airplane.
I honestly didn't find the single engine ILS to be much different from than a regular one, except my leg got more tired, and I left more power in to maintain the glideslope. Get everything done early...if you get your engine pulled and you haven't briefed the approach, or gotten ATIS etc., your workload goes way up and you are more likely to forget something.
Anyways, I am in no way an expert in the area, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just before I intercepted the localizer out goes an engine...tricky guy did it with the fuel selector and had been chatting quite a bit to get me distracted, anyways, not a problem did the engine out checklist and flew the single engine ILS, went missed (both engines)

[/ QUOTE ]

If he killed the engine with the fuel selector, and you secured it and completed the approach, when did you do a restart so you could do a 2 engine missed approach?

Personally, I won't shut one down anywhere near the ground - just simulate it. The simulation (idle thrust, then about 12 inches MP to simulate feather) is pretty realistic, and there is no problem developing thrust if you actually need it.

He pulled the selector, and I went through the engine out and after identifying and simulating feather and cutoff he kicked the fuel back on and bumped the power to zero drag on the dead side to simulate feathered prop. I had both engines for the missed! The only time I secured the engine was at 5,500 MSL

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Personally, I won't shut one down anywhere near the ground - just simulate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My philosphy also. I never do engine out work in a single with anything other than the throttle.

At FSI, where I taught in twins, we used the following guidelines:

0- 1/2 Vmc - Throttle only
Above 1/2 Vmc - no simulated engine failures
0-500 AGL- no simulated engine failures
500-3000 AGL - Throttle only
Above 3000 AGL - Throttle, mixture, or fuel selector

I have heard of too many cases of a simulated engine failure becoming the real thing, especially when the fuel selector is used to fail the engine in a single.

Back