commercial aviation or aviation management

eric6887

Hey everyone,

I'm a senior in high school next year and my goal is to become an airline pilot in the future. I plan on attending UND next year and I'm considering majoring in either commercial aviation or aviation management.

From what I've seen the cost of the management degree would be a lot cheaper, but I wouldn't get a CFI or CFII along with it. The nice thing about the management degree too is it would serve as a good backup degree which I think will be a good thing to have. :D Obviously I still get some time to think through this, but does anyone have any sugestions on this?

I'd go the management route personally. Like you said, it can provide somewhat of an "out" if the industry is in a down turn.

However, you'll certainly want at least your CFI ticket, if not -II or MEI. It's a great way to build up hours.

there is a ton of discussion on this subject in the forums.. do some searching. do you like business?

Another option is the Flight Education degree...I'm considering switching from Commercial Aviation to Flight Education. The main difference between the two degrees is that Flight Education has you take the MEI course instead of the CRJ course, which IMHO is a far better use of my money. There're a few other different courses, mainly just basic teacher-education courses, but other than that it's pretty much the same thing as a Commercial Aviation degree.

The management degree would diversify your education. I am a commercial major and with the current state of the industry wish I may have majored in management. As mentioned above instructing is a great way to build hours. I have a roommate who is a mangement major. He used some of his elective credits to take CFI though. He's currently instructing. So there are plenty of options out there. Both programs offer flexibility through the elective credits you need to acquire if you're smart about it.

Thanks everyone for the responses! :D

So lets say I do decide to get a degree in Av management, and say later for whatever reason I can't fly anymore. Would this degree allow me to get a job in business?

Yes because you will essentially be getting a business degree to begin with. Aviation Management is a B.B.A. (Bachelors of Business Administration) vs. Commercial Aviation which is a B.S. (Bachelors of Science)

Actually an Av Mgmt degree is quite worthless for the business side.. In today's times where people are looking for jobs, I'm sure a person with a regular business / finance / economics degree with 2-3 years experience in that field would get a job over someone with an Av Mgmt degree with no experience.

Actually an Av Mgmt degree is quite worthless for the business side.. In today's times where people are looking for jobs, I'm sure a person with a regular business / finance / economics degree with 2-3 years experience in that field would get a job over someone with an Av Mgmt degree with no experience.
when i did the MGMT option i looked at is as a base to go back to school and get a Masters if something were ever to happen. not an immediate backup. pretty much all Aviation degrees are worthless.

if you really want a MGMT degree, get one with a minor in Professional Flight

when i did the MGMT option i looked at is as a base to go back to school and get a Masters if something were ever to happen. not an immediate backup. pretty much all Aviation degrees are worthless.

if you really want a MGMT degree, get one with a minor in Professional Flight

What kind of degree is useful. Engineering? Other than that I don't know. Liberal arts degrees are no more useful than avit. Mgmt.

Back