deek

I've been taking a lot of practice comm tests and there is
a question I keep having trouble with but haven't found
much in the Jepp book to help me out.

I'm sure it's a math problem but can't figure it
out. It will say something like "if the airplane maintains its
current heading, what relative bearing will it cross at a 35
degree angle?" And it will show an ADF with a bearing to a
station and the aircraft's current MH. How do I figure this out? I know MH+RB=MB, but I'm not
sure how to use that to figure out the angle of crossing.

Any help would be a life savor. I'm hoping to take the written before the end of the month.

what relative bearing will it cross at a 35
degree angle?

I would read that as saying that the difference between the heading and bearing from would be 35 degrees. Meaning that if you turned 35 degrees, the head would be pointing directly behind you. As such, the original RB would be 35 + 180 = 215. What do they give as the answer?

OK, here is an actual question from the Sportys online comm test.

"If the airplane continues to fly on the magnetic head as illustrated, what magnetic bearing FROM the station would be intercepted at a 35 degree angle?
A.305 B.270 C.090

Illustration: magnetic heading 340. with the ADF card set to 0 straight ahead, the bearing is 110 to, and 290 from.
MH(340)+RB(110)=MH(090)

The best answer is to memorize the test. The writtens are such a waste of time and at best a formality.

ehh... I did learn things from the writtens so I wouldn't pass them off as nothing so easily. But you are right, after looking at them for so long you end up recognizing and memorizing answers.

OK, here is an actual question from the Sportys online comm test.

"If the airplane continues to fly on the magnetic head as illustrated, what magnetic bearing FROM the station would be intercepted at a 35 degree angle?
A.305 B.270 C.090

Illustration: magnetic heading 340. with the ADF card set to 0 straight ahead, the bearing is 110 to, and 290 from.
MH(340)+RB(110)=MH(090)

You use the usual MH+RB=MB to figure out the magnetic bearing TO the NDB. In this case, at that instant, you are in the 090 magnetic bearing TO the NDB, or 270 FROM the NDB. Since it's clear you are not east of the NDB (on the 090 magnetic bearing FROM) , option C gets eliminated.

Option B gets eliminated as well since you are already crossing the 270 bearing FROM, but your magnetic heading is 340, so the angle at which you are intercepting (the minimum angle that is) is 340-270=70 degrees, twice the angle you want.

Finally since at that time you're south of the 305 MB FROM the NDB, and on a heading of 340, you will intercept that bearing at an angle of 35 degrees.

:banghead:

Hmmm well yes, studying for the test without memorizing the answers would make you feel that way.

I'm just sayin', you do what you've been taught, and my II way back in the day said exactly that.... just memorize it.

I did the King Schools ATP exam.... how did I get an okay score? They make you take the test a bunch. Like it or not, you memorize.

Hmmm well yes, studying for the test without memorizing the answers would make you feel that way.

I'm just sayin', you do what you've been taught, and my II way back in the day said exactly that.... just memorize it.

I did the King Schools ATP exam.... how did I get an okay score? They make you take the test a bunch. Like it or not, you memorize.

I agree It really is the best way. In all reality those tests are bogus. The important stuff is the stuff you'll use every time you go flying and will be burned into your memory. I don't need to remember how to do some random calculation, or know some random questions about stuff you never use. Memorize the bs stuff but remember the important stuff you'll use all the time.

A.305 B.270 C.090
MH(340)+RB(110)=MH(090)

If you have a heading of 340, you're on a 35 degree intercept for 305. i.e.,
340 - 35 = 305.

:yeahthat:

The more you study the more you memorize, you can't help it.
No. The more you study, the more you learn. There is a difference between memorizing a series of answers for a test and learning. I think it has something to do with knowledge retention.

But I forget.

You can learn how to do the formulas, but when the question starts out with "abc123..." most will involuntarily remember the answer was C yesterday, it is still is going to be C today.

Now if the questions on the test were different; until then you can't say inadvertent memorization doesn't exist on some level.

You can learn how to do the formulas, but when the question starts out with "abc123..." most will involuntarily remember the answer was C yesterday, it is still is going to be C today.
I seem to recall something about the electronic test moving the answer choices around, so "c" yesterday may be "a" today. Not sure about that but it would be easy enough to do.

I used one of the brand books as an aid for studying for my commercial. When I took the exam I noticed that the answers were all there, but in a different order than in the study book.

I've been taking a lot of practice comm tests and there is
a question I keep having trouble with but haven't found
much in the Jepp book to help me out.

I'm sure it's a math problem but can't figure it
out. It will say something like "if the airplane maintains its
current heading, what relative bearing will it cross at a 35
degree angle?" And it will show an ADF with a bearing to a
station and the aircraft's current MH. How do I figure this out? I know MH+RB=MB, but I'm not
sure how to use that to figure out the angle of crossing.

Any help would be a life savor. I'm hoping to take the written before the end of the month.

I remember struggling with these same questions. I took the test a few months ago. I used the asa computer disc study guide. The answer is what everyone has been saying mh + rb= mb. The explantion from asa was that the body of the question is just meant to confuse you, and plugging the numbers in the equation always gives the correct answer. I think the faa probably just starts to run out of creative ways to ask the same question.

... what magnetic bearing FROM the station would be intercepted at a 35 degree angle?

erhm.... last I checked, "bearings" FROM the station are called COURSES!!! Did that raise anyone else's eyebrow?

Back