Comm. Rating Questions

farwellbooth

Under 61 the regs say I need 10 hours of "training" in a complex aircraft. What does training versus actually flying mean? How many hours should I expect to actually fly?

Secondly, do I have to take my comm. ride in a complex plane?

Third, if I'm planning on getting my multi down the road after I teach for awhile, should I just fly a multi and use that towards the complex requirement since I'm going to need these multi hours down the road or just start with the single complex? The single complex is plenty busy for me at this point...

thanks

"training" is dual recieved.

I would except about 10-20 hours in the complex airplane and another 10 or so hours in a non complex airplane for your commercial rating. It varies with everyone though.

You will need to do at least part of the checkride in a complex airplane, I would recommend doing the entire checkride in a complex airplane.

You could do it in a multi, however if you do that you will only have commercial priviliages while in a multi engine airplane. IE: you still only have a private single engine rating. Also, you will need a fair bit more than the 10 hours of complex time. Im laying in bed and cant rememeber the exact hour but check part 61.

Zach

[ QUOTE ]

I would except about 10-20 hours in the complex airplane and another 10 or so hours in a non complex airplane for your commercial rating. It varies with everyone though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical Blue Raider CFI canned answer, zach...lol. (teasing....somewhat).

Farwellbooth, if you have enough time in your logbook to qualify for a commercial, and you've actually spent time practicing the manuevers on your own, it shouldn't even take 10 hours to get proficient enough to pass the commercial checkride. All truth be told (although we all like to pretend we're rocket scientists), the commercial checkride is the easiest one you'll ever do. My first ever flight in a Piper aircraft was in a PA-28R-200, and that was the begining of my commercial training. My CFI and I had to do some extra flying the morning of the checkride just so that I could hit 10 hours!!! It's your private ride, with a few extra kicks. So don't let a CFI milk you....learn it, fly and practice by yourself, and get that ticket!!!!

Back