Come play Monday morning QB on my actions

It was before the opposite direction prohibition

Oh, so it was YOU and your goofy NASA report that's the real reason I can't do opposite direction approaches anymore! Thanks a lot!!

I think you did fine though, I would have done the same thing in a single with 4000 remaining.

Had a guy in Cherokee plow down the ILS opposite a few planes (including ours) that were working the pattern at our local class E the other day. Now I have no problem with that in general, we all need practice, but this asshat wasn't even on CTAF and didn't even turn on his landing light. We picked him up as we were climbing out through about 100' AGL and side stepped him. Friggin idiot.

Did you get a tail #? I'd report it, there is no regard for safety or even common courtesy.

To the OP: Next time ask the tower if he has the time to take down a phone #.

Oh, so it was YOU and your goofy NASA report that's the real reason I can't do opposite direction approaches anymore! Thanks a lot!!

I think you did fine though, I would have done the same thing in a single with 4000 remaining.
I had a feeling this would come up :smoke:

Thanks for sharing this learning experience.

You absolutely did the right thing. Once you are cleared to land or cleared for the option YOU own that runway unless they cancel the landing clearance. But, as you were rolling out on the runway, YOU own it and can do what you need to do to safely operate the airplane, which you did.

Similar situation happened to me. I was doing IOE on a brand new First Officer going into a large Class B Airport. The FO had one landing in the airplane so I was talking him through the approach. On REALLY short final tower said 'Colgan 3201 exit on taxiway XX'. I said 'Colgan 3201 unable' and that was that.

Brings up another point. There are a lot of new controllers out there who aren't familiar with what it is like being behind the stick. In the past they used to be able to jumpseat to get an idea what it is like which I think would be extremely helpful for all of us. These controllers do an awesome job, but they may not understand completely what it is like to try to comply with a last minute instruction or understand on why we keep asking for 5 more right every minute. You fly the airplane, communicate with ATC clearly what you need, be professional, and don't be afraid to be a Pilot in Command. Seems like you did all off that.

I'd have done the same.

Good job, Cameron.

As for my students, this is a good example of why I would tell them to identify themselves as a student pilot. Hopefully ATC would have known if they were solo and just told the king air to bring it back around.

I fly recips, so I'm always looking at my options for aborting a takeoff... 1) On the runway if possible; 2) In a clear overrun area if no usable runway remains; 3) In an off-airport clearing, hopefully between 10:30 and 1:30; and 4) Return to the airport (any runway) if altitude and airspeed permit.

If somebody comes over the radio telling me to shut it down, I'll do my best to comply because he probably knows more than I do, and he's trying to keep the metal from smashing together.

Either way was fine. 4000 feet is plenty, but if you didn't feel comfortable putting it down, then keep flying.

I had a slightly similar situation once with tower. I was cleared for the option and the landing was good, so we just exited the runway promptly. The tower guy told me "you need to let us know if you are making a full stop." I replied back that we were cleared for the option and he grumbled something about letting them know.

Either way was fine. 4000 feet is plenty, but if you didn't feel comfortable putting it down, then keep flying.

I had a slightly similar situation once with tower. I was cleared for the option and the landing was good, so we just exited the runway promptly. The tower guy told me "you need to let us know if you are making a full stop." I replied back that we were cleared for the option and he grumbled something about letting them know.
I once had tower bark at me for doing a stop and go when I was cleared for the option. I said the same thing, "I was cleared for the option"

..........Controllers make requests, pilots make decisions..........
Well Stated!!
I know military operations are different but this is a fine example from Baghdad, Iraq:
Plane: "Tower XXXX 3 mile from final approach ILS"
TWR: "XXXX observed weather is 100 overcast, 1/4 mile visability. Airport is closed. State your intentions"
Plane: "I intend to shoot the ILS and land"
TWR: Silence, then "Sir, the airport is closed due to low weather. State your intentions now"
Plane: "As I've stated, I intend to shoot the ILS NOW and land if I see the runway environment"
TWR: Silence again...."Sir, this landing is at your own risk"
Plane: "They ALL are"

Have to laugh.

To the OP, you made the right call but either way would have worked in my book. In this case, you have control of an airplane, tower has control of a mic

The phrase "Controllers make requests" is rather unfair and dismissive toward our group of controllers. They issue instructions, which are required to be followed unless the PIC deems those instructions to be unsafe. They are not requests.

This post brought to you by Hoppy Trails IPA.

dasleben said:
The phrase "Controllers make requests" is rather unfair and dismissive toward our group of controllers. They issue instructions, which are required to be followed unless the PIC deems those instructions to be unsafe. They are not requests.

WOW......we agree again!

So the Kingair was on a two mile final, and not in contact with ATC? At a controlled airport in Class D? Why? Solution: Find the Kingair pilot, and punch him in the face.

Maybe he was NORDO?

Did ATC attempt any light gun signals towards him?

Back