Combining the IR and CMEL checkride

JPilot9

I hold ASEL and AMEL ratings and I'm working on my instrument in a single. After earning the ASEL (IR) and progressing to the CMEL, would it be possible to have a DPE give me the CMEL checkride, and include the instrument approaches and MEL maneuvers under the hood in the same checkride? Can they give CMEL and AMEL (IR) privileges in the same checkride?

I'm trying to avoid taking an additional multi checkride to get multi IFR privileges.

I hold ASEL and AMEL ratings and I'm working on my instrument in a single. After earning the ASEL (IR) and progressing to the CMEL, would it be possible to have a DPE give me the CMEL checkride, and include the instrument approaches and MEL maneuvers under the hood in the same checkride? Can they give CMEL and AMEL (IR) privileges in the same checkride?

I'm trying to avoid taking an additional multi checkride to get multi IFR privileges.

Consult your FARs and your PTS...If you already have an IR when you take your multi-ride it will include at the very least an instrument approach with a simulated failed engine. You don't take the CMEL and then go take an additional MEL-IR checkride. They are one and the same.

If you currently hold a Private Certificate with ASEL and AMEL ratings and you get the Instrument Rating in a single there will be a restriction placed on your certificate that says:
"AMEL VFR only"

After that, if you decide to get a Commercial Certificate with the AMEL rating, during that one checkride the examiner 'Must' have you perform 'Instrument proficiency' in the multi. This will remove the restriction.

It really isn't that bad, most likely one single engine approach on the checkride itself. It isn't like doing the entire Instrument checkride in the multi again.

Back