Columbia, Columbia, This Is Houston, We Read You

A Life Aloft

It was Summer. Our days were filled with impromptu baseball games at the park, riding our bikes, reading comics, playing soldier, building and flying kites, trading baseball cards, marble and yo yo tournaments, consuming gallons of ice cold lemonaid, barbeques, camp outs in the back yard with our friends, building forts and tree houses, constructing contraptions we called "race cars", swimming, double hitter drive in movies wearing our pajamas, chocolate malts, hours at the drive in restaurants where there were carhops, music and you sat with all the windows rolled down while metal trays were afixed to the open window and side of the car teeming with cheeseburgers, french fries and frosty root beer floats, there were tales of Jack London, Mark Twain, the Hardy Boys, Robun Hood and his band of loyal merry men, King Arthur and his brave knights, Steve Canyon, Sky King, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon with his mighty steed Rex and his courageous dog Yukon King. We would crowd around the tv with our siblings and friends watching The Rat Patrol, 12 o'clock High, Combat, Gunsmoke, the Man From Uncle, The Virginian, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lassie, The Riflemen, Rawhide, 77 Sunset Strip, and Route 66. We coveted, fought and held rock paper scissors contests over hot cinnamon bears, Tootsie Pops, Flipsticks, Now and Thens, and Scooter Pies.

Many nights we would lay on our backs in the sweet grass and gaze at the stars. When I finally got a decent telescope for Christmas, I became obsessed with learning the constellations, certain stars, the planets and delighted in showing off my knowledge to my siblings, relatives and friends. Then there was the special evening, the evening none of us who were alive back then will ever forget.

Neighbors, friends and relatives came and gathered at various homes, children were for once silent in anticipation sitting on the living room floor, Moms had made all sorts of food to bring for a potluck and celebration. My Mom had made chocolate cupcakes with red, white and blue frosting on them and chili with pasta because my Dad had told her that Neil Armstrong was from Ohio.

In revered terms we spoke the names of Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins. Our Dads had regaled us with stories of their backgrounds, their Military service, what it meant to be a test pilot and that these men were pioneers, they were heroes and that they were great Americans.

People were praying, holding hands, crossing their fingers, some were just holding their breath and some were clutching the little American flags that they had brought with them.

Finally the words....."The Eagle has landed."

In the shadow of the Eagle, appeared Neil Armstrong in his bulky white spacesuit, clamouring his way down the ladder. We could barely believe our eyes. We had done it. There were Americans on the surface of the moon. They planted our flag there. The President spoke to them.

Shortly after, Edwin Aldrin followed him. They seemed so happy, almost giddy. At times they just skipped and jumped around the surface like delighted small boys on an enormous adventure of great discovery.

It was if all time had stopped. Like nothing else in the entire world matter at that moment. People jumped to their feet and clapped, they yelled, they cheered, they hugged one another and they cried. My little brother had run out back to look through my telescope and was convinced that he could see the astronauts. Of course he couldn't, but we were still all breathless with excitement. The men poured drinks, toasted the astronauts and toasted our country. They wished them Godspeed home and a safe arrival.

When Neil Armstrong descended the steps of the ladder of the Eagle and he said: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," it sent chills through everyone. It meant that a plethora of unknown possibilities and opportunities awaited everyone. Every person on the planet could and would be benefited somehow by all the new discoveries, scientific experiments and inventions that would embrace every future adventure and exploration into space. It made us excited. It gave everyone hope. It made us proud.

They had landed on the Sea of Tranquility. I've always thought that was a magical, inspiring and beautiful name.

This week marks the 47th anniversary of the first walk on the moon and the Apollo 11 mission.

431222main_AP11_Tickettape_s70-17433_full.jpg

President_Nixon_welcomes_the_Apollo_11_astronauts_aboard_the_U.S.S._Hornet.jpg

apollo-11-splash.jpg

ap16-72-HC-452HR.jpg

President Nixon aboard the USS Hornet waiting for the Apollo crew to arrive.

10075301.jpg

The astronauts on board the USS Hornet

quar.jpg

Mission Control after the landing

s69-40022.jpg

lift1.jpg

lem.jpg

fprint.jpg

flag.jpg

stand.jpg

work.jpg

return2.jpg

Last edited:
I would do the Mars mission in a heart beat.

Growing up in the 1970's it was a very realistic expectation that we would have a substantial space station in orbit, a colony on the moon with our sights on Mars in the mid 1990's. Hypersonic suborbital commercial airliners were a reasonable idea.

Now we're all aflutter about bathrooms, Pokemon GO, the cable news cycle and "Woo… we're going to jury rig the 737's main gear so we can put bigger motors on it and extend it even more, so exciting"

*sigh*

Which was paid for with blood. Not that I wouldn't put my life on the line to push as hard now.
But that is the way and possibility for all pioneers, for all explorers, and for all adventurers. They know the risks but they also understand the gains. To be safe, all one has to do is stay home. But that was not what those like John Glenn, Charles Lindbergh, Bob Hoover, Beryl Markham, Amelia Earhart, Bill Boeing, Gus Grissom, Alan Shepard, Jim Lovell, Frank Borman, Albert Einstein, the Wright Brothers, Gordon Cooper, Wally Schirra, Michael Adams, Don Sheldon, Robert Campbell Reeve, Joe Crosson, Harold Gillam, Jacques Cousteau, Christiaan Barnard, Leonardo da Vinci, Robert Falcon Scott, Lewis and Clark, Emund Hillary, Richard Byrd sought for mankind. All the explorers, all those throughout history who sought new discoveries, new firsts, new trails, and new beginnings. shared that same mindset. They wanted and needed to reach beyond themselves, to venture and pave the way into the unknown so that others could follow, benefit and learn from their actions and discoveries.

Last edited:

Growing up in the 1970's it was a very realistic expectation that we would have a substantial space station in orbit, a colony on the moon with our sights on Mars in the mid 1990's. Hypersonic suborbital commercial airliners were a reasonable idea.

Now we're all aflutter about bathrooms, Pokemon GO, the cable news cycle and "Woo… we're going to jury rig the 737's main gear so we can put bigger motors on it and extend it even more, so exciting"

*sigh*

We often seem to be more distracted with things that, in the big picture, have lower importance.

We often seem to be more distracted with things that, in the big picture, have lower importance.

Considering we're going to wreck our planet for political expediency in the next few generations, we really need to either (a) take care of the one we already have or (b) look for a viable alternate.

I'm not religious so I'm not under the (in my opinion) misconception that someone's going to show up and rectify all of our wrongs before the planet says, "Hey, you know what, I'm done, the next generation of organisms, if they evolve to be sentient, will be digging up your petrified corpses in another sixty-five million years just like you did the dinosaurs"

Considering we're going to wreck our planet for political expediency in the next few generations, we really need to either (a) take care of the one we already have or (b) look for a viable alternate.

I'm not religious so I'm not under the (in my opinion) misconception that someone's going to show up and rectify all of our wrongs before the planet says, "Hey, you know what, I'm done, the next generation of organisms, if they evolve to be sentient, will be digging up your petrified corpses in another sixty-five million years just like you did the dinosaurs"

Do you think they will make a show similar to "ancient aliens" to explain our advanced technology?

Agreed!

Even if one's religious leanings include that of an apocalyptic, game changing event, that shouldn't be used as an excuse to simply sit and passively watch the universe go by, stop trying to improve the world we have, or further our knowledge and exploration. While a little entertainment and personal time is always good, I believe that as a species we weren't meant to idle away our days watching reality shows, adding a tenth body piercing, reading People magazine and looking for Picachew...Chu ....or however the he## you spell it. :)

I'd be terrified, but if they offered me a chance to go to Mars I'd have to jump at the opportunity too. I'm sure 737 typed astronauts are in super high demand. So, yeah, they should be calling any day.

Last edited:
Do you think they will make a show similar to "ancient aliens" to explain our advanced technology?

Lol....Yesterday in a hotel gym I couldn't find another thing to watch while on the treadmill so I settled for that. It's easier to watch with the captioning on while listening to music on your iPod. I feel like I need a shiny, new tin foil hat.

Last edited:
I sure hope that towards the end of my career we will see the return of supersonic transport to the tune of "edge of space" and around the world flights in under 12 hours.

Neil's lunar mission spacesuit is on display in CVG right now. Downstairs as you exit security, just past the escalators going up.

*sigh*

0110f94bc69c4175b75851f1e0aeb336.jpg

Just to be the one guy to point it out, but you guys do realize that Pokemon Go is NOT the reason we don't have a moon base.

lol hey, some people have a hard time making distinctions like that and like to assume stuff like Pokemon Go or the Kardashians represent everything that is wrong with society...and more importantly, why it is wrong.

Back