Colorblindness concerns

NewCFII

I completed my Class 1 flight physical and passed it. I was a little shaky with the color test though, but I did pass. I did not get all the cards right, but I got enough to pass.
I was later told that 3 guys who passed the Class 1 physical were sent home once they got out of OTS because they failed the second flight physical due to color blindness. I guess they get a little more strict on the second test.
Does anyone know about this who has gone through OTS?
Do they give you a different kind of test than they did on the Class 1 physical? Or do they give more in depth tests? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I've been picked up by a unit for the March selection board. I have my hopes up, and am excited at this great oppurtunity. Just wanted to know what to expect. Thanks ahead.

The only accepted standard for color vision in the AF is the Pseudochromatic Isolation Plates (PIP) aka Ishihara standard. You will be tested on this down at military flight screening at Brooks AFB prior to arriving at UPT. If you fail this, you may be asked to take one of the other color vision tests (such as the FALANT), however, the likelihood of getting a successful waiver for pilot duties is slim. We had one guy who passed (barely) on his FC I physical, who later failed at MFS and was sent home. He is now a line officer and, while disappointed at not flying, loves the military.

All the more reason to be sure that you are coming into the military with the attitude of "serve country first, serve self later".

P.S. The majority of "washouts" at MFS are due to inadequate depth perception (however, many cases are waiverable) and silent, congenital heart conditions which are revealed on an echocardiogram.

Not sure, but one of our guys got bumped from his original UPT date for failing the DP test - he was enrolled in a special "study group" and has a waiver for flying now. Set him back about a month from starting UPT.

Good to know - I'm 20/20 w/out glasses, but have no depth perception without them! Usually just wear glasses at night to help, but technically, not "required" to wear them.

Back