Color Vision

Correct....but try and take the tests with an eye doctor NOT YOUR AME!!!!!!! If you fail with your AME he/she will have to report it to the FAA and that will make your life hell. If you fail with an eye doctor, you can just retake it as many times as you need to pass.

As far as finding the FALANT, the best thing to do is call local optometry schools...that is the only place I could find one.

I am also partially colorblind, and i failed the plate test the first time that i took it (because i didn't know i was colorblind to then). So I drove 450 miles and took a FALANT test and passed, and took the letter stating that i passed back to my AME, and they didn't know anything about the FALANT and so now i'm going to find another AME that hopefully knows what to do.
Good luck

Ok, I am kinda lost in acronyms here...I have no idea what all off you are talking about with thte different kinds of tests. All I know is that I failed my color vision test at the doctor's office and all I had to do was go to my local FSDO and stand in a parking lot and have a guy shine a light at me to make sure that I could see the difference between red, green, and white. Quite simple really. Took all of 10 minutes.

Finally, I found an AME who knew what the FALANT test means, and I'm going to get another physical and get my restriction taken off. I could send my results from the FALANT test to the FAA and get it taken off for free, but I don't want to wait that long ( my appointment is in 30 minutes....)

I soloed yesterday!!!!!

Now What?

OK, I passed a Pseudoisochromatic plate test and got my medical certificate with no hitches. Now, how do I get a letter from the FAA saying that I don't have to take a color test ever again?

Thanks

Steve

Re: Now What?

You have to send a photocopy of the results signed by your doctor into the FAA in Oklahoma City. You then have to bug the heck out of them.....(politely of course or your paperwork will be "lost") in order to expedite the process. Explain to them that your are starting training and your school requires it ASAP for this reason or that (I said I was starting night flying). I found once I called and told them that they put it into the "fast" stack of papers. It had been over a month and up until that point the woman said they hadn't even looked at it. I had the letter back in about a week after that.

Back