Color Vision Letter of Evidence - Status

Re: 8500-7

I called the FAA and here is what they had to say...

*If you go to the AME and FAIL the color vision test YOU CAN STILL TAKE AN ALTERNATE TEST with a normal optometrist to get the limitation removed.

*You can also go to a normal optometrist with the 8500-7 form and have an optometrist fill that out along with attatching PASSING color vision results from an APPROVED FAA color vision test and then take that to the AME ahead of time and you will bypass the vision test and color vision test.

But remember if you do the above mentioned, it has to be done EVERY time you renew your medical unless you take a OCVT (operational color vision test.

Well I took the OCVT today up at the Juneau airport and...passed! :D The test really wasn't that difficult. I think the inspector realized how much of a pain in the ass the test was so he wasn't anal on some things. I'll have you know that the signal light test was the hardest, because the light has to be shined directly on to you to be effective. If the operator is amateurish, then it's going to be difficult. Oh well, I'm cleared for takeoff :nana2:

Now I'm confused. My LOE was issued back in '04. It says I do not need a SODA. I have always used it with no problems. Can I still use that when I renew my medical? Do I have to do anything different now?

Now I'm confused. My LOE was issued back in '04. It says I do not need a SODA. I have always used it with no problems. Can I still use that when I renew my medical? Do I have to do anything different now?

Yes, use it as alwyas. They did not rescind old LOE's:)

Not to hijack, but

Didn't the FAA stop issuing SODAs a while ago and only issue LOEs?

Well I took the OCVT today up at the Juneau airport and...passed! :D The test really wasn't that difficult. I think the inspector realized how much of a pain in the ass the test was so he wasn't anal on some things. I'll have you know that the signal light test was the hardest, because the light has to be shined directly on to you to be effective. If the operator is amateurish, then it's going to be difficult. Oh well, I'm cleared for takeoff :nana2:

Pain in the ass and anal in the same sentence... I love it. LOL.

Anyway, I'm guessing you already had the night restriction on your medical? They won't let you take it if you passed the color vision test initially?

I was restricted to fly by color signal control both day and night, and was unable to solo at night, by taking this test I got all those restrictions removed from my license.

I was restricted to fly by color signal control both day and night, and was unable to solo at night, by taking this test I got all those restrictions removed from my license.

It's always good to go the extra mile... %99 of the people out there will tell you you can't become a pilot because you are "color blind" and can't see the numbers on the plates.... :rolleyes:

It's always good to go the extra mile... %99 of the people out there will tell you you can't become a pilot because you are "color blind" and can't see the numbers on the plates.... :rolleyes:

A guy at the FSDO told me this. As a result, I was ten years late starting my aviation career.

I got my ishihara book... It's funny, becuase I get 9 right... (On the first 11) Number 1 is just the example plate...

The book says if you get 10 or more right of the first 11, you are normal... And if you get 7 or less, then you are deficient...

The book also says it's a rare find for a person to get 8 or 9 correct, and these types require further testing... I guess I'm that rare find.. lol. Not quite color normal, and not quite color deficient.

FAA says this:
Concise 14-plate edition: six or more errors on plates 1-11 is failing... Anything better is passing.

I got less than 6 errors. I pass!

Good to know I can at least pass this one.. It's much easier to find than the FALANT! No MFT for me!

Ok, I'm completely new to this aviation field. I am a college student in OK and am joining the AFROTC next semester while at the same time starting my path down the "pro pilot" program here at OSU. I am color deficient, and cannot pass the Ishahara plates, but feel I could pass another test, but would like to ensure I would never have restrictions for life....what is the easiest/safest way of doing this.

I'm sure this has been answered, but as I said I'm completely new to this field and probably didn't understand each and everything.

Ok, I'm completely new to this aviation field. I am a college student in OK and am joining the AFROTC next semester while at the same time starting my path down the "pro pilot" program here at OSU. I am color deficient, and cannot pass the Ishahara plates, but feel I could pass another test, but would like to ensure I would never have restrictions for life....what is the easiest/safest way of doing this.

I'm sure this has been answered, but as I said I'm completely new to this field and probably didn't understand each and everything.

Read here:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...m/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item52/amd/
Try to take every acceptable testing method listed there... Call optometrists, AME's, etc to find the test you want to try. Dvorine and FALANT are good ones...

I must clarify just to be sure I go the right route. I am one month from my PEPC for ATC in ZSE. I have failed one of the plate tests administered by a professional in the past and I don't believe I'd pass one in the future. In every day life I've never come across an issue of not being able to see colors effectively.

From my understanding I can either see an optometrist and take an approved alternate test before or after my PEPC interview. Or, I can take the official FAA test which would clear me for life if I pass or finish my career before it starts if I fail. If this is the case those are very scary options. Also, should I make sure I take an alternate test before the PEPC to potentially save money?

Back