Color Vision and Drinking Alcohol

RS1

I've read somewhere that color vision can be permanently affected by consuming excessive alcohol... Is this true? I'm already an anomalous trichromat as it is, and I'd hate to make it even worse... That and I wouldn't want to give up my beers. Is there any truth to this?

Also are there any foods / vitamins / minerals that could help improve (or maintain) overall color perception that would help me out come test time?

Thanks

I've read somewhere that color vision can be permanently affected by consuming excessive alcohol... Is this true? I'm already an anomalous trichromat as it is, and I'd hate to make it even worse... That and I wouldn't want to give up my beers. Is there any truth to this?

The only visual change associated with alcohol is the women look better the more you drink:laff:

Also, there are no foods that will help. Color vision deficit is genetic, you cannot change that (at least without genetic engineering).

I've heard they are doing gene therapy trials in animals right now for color vision cases. Hopefully with the new government administration there will be more funds put forth towards gene therapy research.

I've heard they are doing gene therapy trials in animals right now for color vision cases. Hopefully with the new government administration there will be more funds put forth towards gene therapy research.

I hear about this too... A guy I work closely with is an actual Achromat... (He only sees in black and white, can't drive, has to wear sun glasses everywhere outside, etc...) He was actually on TV for it once because it's so rare... anyway this probably could help him out, but I'm not sure about an anomalous trichromat such as myself... because isn't the color sensitivity simply misaligned in my case? (Not actually failing to produce any proteins, just sensitivity to certain color wavelengths is different or something?)

Hopefully the government will put more effort into gene therapy research. The problem for you will be the political demand for where the money goes - HIV/AIDS, cancer, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, etc. will all be much further up the list than color deficiency.

Back