Color Blind Test

jetcareerseeker

I have just come across the new FAA standards on color perception testing. I understand that one has to re-take the color perception test every year. I have seen the list of tests available, from the Ishihara to Dvorine, to Farnsworth Lantern. My questions are, do you have to pick one test out of all the available tests? And if so, what if you pick one, and fail it? Does that mean you are automatically labelled as color blind and ineligible to obtain a unrestricted class 1 or 2, unless you take and pass the OCVT?

You have always had to take the color vision test at every flight physical.

The change is that if you fail the Ishihara plate test, you can take any of the alternate tests and get an unrestricted medical (if you pass one of them). You can take any or all of them but the problem is that most AME's have only one in their office. We have three and I am always looking for affordable copies of the other tests so an airman can have multiple choices. If you fail the Ishihara or Keystone in our office, we automatically administer the Farnsworth lantern test.

You have always had to take the color vision test at every flight physical.

The change is that if you fail the Ishihara plate test, you can take any of the alternate tests and get an unrestricted medical (if you pass one of them). You can take any or all of them but the problem is that most AME's have only one in their office. We have three and I am always looking for affordable copies of the other tests so an airman can have multiple choices. If you fail the Ishihara or Keystone in our office, we automatically administer the Farnsworth lantern test.

What if you previously passed a Farnsworth Lantern test and have a letter stating such????

What if you previously passed a Farnsworth Lantern test and have a letter stating such????

You must take the color vision test at each exam. The "letter" does not substitute for the color test unless it is a Letter of Evidence from the FAA.

You must take the color vision test at each exam. The "letter" does not substitute for the color test unless it is a Letter of Evidence from the FAA.

Yes...it is a letter from the FAA with a case number and everything stating I no longer have to take the color vision test. I thought I heard those would be grandfathered in.

Back