College

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORDFO

I've seen many posts saying that you can't get hired at a major or even a regional without a 4 year college degree, I'm here to tell you first hand that this is totally false, I was hired without any college whatsoever. My high school GPA was just 1.7. Education and schooling were never brought up during the interview. My personal view is that most people that post such garbage that a 4 year degree is required are just trying to justify in their mind the expense and trouble of going to school, especially the ones wasting their money getting an aeronautical science degree at any of the big name aviation universities. I know that many will flame me for posting this, but since I work for a major and almost all of them don't, I telling you a 4 year degree isn't "mandatory" for getting hired, it just isn't true.

I don't think anyone ever said the degree was absolutely required. Certainly having a degree will make you more competitive (it may help you get an interview, but the job is a different story). Last I heard, 95% of airline pilots have a degree.

Having the degree will also help you out if you get laid off or you need supplemental income.

An education NEVER hurts you. It is extremely ignorant to say that people wasted their money to get a degree, because that is simply a bunch of bologna. The degree will make them more competitive in and outside of the industry.

Keep in mind ORDFO that you are most likely part of a minority group, having nothing more than a highschool education while flying for an airline. Go and ask your fellow peers, and I am certain most of them will have the degree. It DOES help, no matter what you say.

Agreed with what Chris said. the operative word is "CAN'T" that is not true. Byut boy oh boy is it more difficult. I have a pal who is flying for Southwest, with only a HS diploma.

If someone wants to shoot for the 2-5% that don't have a degree, more power to 'em, I'd rather shoot for the 95% myself...

well I'd rather shoot myself in the head before flying part 121, but that is a different issue...

Not flame bait. Eagle said in another thread "Keep in mind he will not fly for an airline without a four year degree. regional or major".

[ QUOTE ]
Not flame bait. Eagle said in another thread "Keep in mind he will not fly for an airline without a four year degree. regional or major".

[/ QUOTE ]

Well perhaps a better way for me to have put it is:

He has as much chance of making it of a major without a degree as he does in picking the final score in the 2004 super bowl.

Can be done, and I am sure Vegas is already taking bets on it.

But the chances are slim.

I would be interested to know how long you have been at UAL, you are not a post-911 hire that is for sure, and if ANYONE thinks in a post 9-11 airline environment you have a snowballs chance in Texas (the closest thing to hell in my mind) of making it to a major with no degree...then they have been playing with the peyote a little too long.

plus the majority of people, without degrees have little value to add in a conversation, without getting all angry for feeling inferior.. So who would want to hire them and sit with them on a 4-5 day trip.
smile.gif

(yes I am an elitist snob, incase you are just figuring that out)

I hate to break it to some of you guys, but people are still getting hired at the regional without a degree, i dont have a degree but will without a doubt get one. I see the importance of having a degree, but not the importance of having one before your ratings. I know guy that was recently hired at comair, whos is only 20 years old! His class is going to be after hes 21 because he still has to pass his ATP written. I think it would be rare to get on with a major airline without a college a degree, but i know for a fact it can and is happening at the regionals.

This has been hashed and rehashed countless times on this and other forums. The fact is, a 4 year degree is NOT an absolute necessity in order to get hired by a major airline. There are pilots flying for a major without one. It doesn't make you a better pilot nor a better person. Some of the best pilots I've known and/or flown with had no college. Some of the worst had advance degrees above the 4 year requirement.

With that said, most major airlines still PREFER someone with a 4 yr degree. And, since most resumes are now scanned through a cold heartless computer which only looks for certain boxes to be checked, the chances of yours being throw out without the "college" box checked is much greater than in the past.

Also, since slots at the majors are harder to get, the competition for those slots have become tougher. The competition has more education and more quality time under their belt. It may not seem fair but that's the way it is in the world of aviation.

If you think you are one of the lucky few who can make it without the college "preferred" requirement, especially in these bleak economic times....well, good luck. Put yourself in the position of the airline's HR dept when they're trying to pick the very best person and all they have is a resume in front of them.

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to break it to some of you guys, but people are still getting hired at the regional without a degree

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not breaking news. I think most folks know that the college requirement at the Regional level is more lenient than at the major airline level. For some, that's where their career and their advancement to the majors hits a big road block.

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen many posts saying that you can't get hired at a major or even a regional without a 4 year college degree, I'm here to tell you first hand that this is totally false, I was hired without any college whatsoever. My high school GPA was just 1.7. Education and schooling were never brought up during the interview. My personal view is that most people that post such garbage that a 4 year degree is required are just trying to justify in their mind the expense and trouble of going to school, especially the ones wasting their money getting an aeronautical science degree at any of the big name aviation universities. I know that many will flame me for posting this, but since I work for a major and almost all of them don't, I telling you a 4 year degree isn't "mandatory" for getting hired, it just isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORDFO, thank you so much for telling many future airline job candidates not to get their degree. Please continue to do so, for when it comes time for me to apply for a pilot seat with Delta, I won't have as many other qualified pilots to compete with for the job.

I owe you one man, keep up the good work.
grin.gif

Just got to aviationinterviews.com and see the surveys pilots submited after their interview. Look to see just how many have 4 year degrees. Id say 90%+ have 4 years and 7$ have 2 years. Be my guest, dont get a degree, that less competition for me at the airline level and also for my mangaer position at Mcdonalds when we get furloughed.

Don't you need a 4 year for Fed-Ex? I think I saw that on their web site. I know a couple people with UPS that don't have college, my mom got hired by them w/o one.

I think the point most are trying to make is to do what you can to be as competetive as you can for whatever job you're applying for. You may not use your degree at all, but it's one more thing that makes you stand out for hiring purposes.

[ QUOTE ]
IMy personal view is that most people that post such garbage that a 4 year degree is required are just trying to justify in their mind the expense and trouble of going to school, especially the ones wasting their money getting an aeronautical science degree at any of the big name aviation universities. I know that many will flame me for posting this, but since I work for a major and almost all of them don't, I telling you a 4 year degree isn't "mandatory" for getting hired, it just isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not flame because this is pure flamebait!

And welcome back, ORDFO! I haven't seen you around here since I last banned your IP after you misreprsented yourself as me in the chat software.

And yup, I kept a copy of the transcript so whenever our paths cross, we can have a wonderful "conversation" about things you said of a personal nature.

And BTW, if you're a UAL FO as per your profile, they do in fact require college and with a 1.7 GPA, you probably wouldn't have been competitive in your peer group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back