College transcripts

sbav8r

Do Airlines or anyone else for that matter ever ask to see transcripts or just proof of graduation?

Thanks

When I interviewed with COEX a few years back, they asked for high school and college transcripts. I've looked at applications for AE, CHQ, and TSA and they all requested them in the past. My current regional did not ask for anything.

Yeah I've been asked for my transcripts before. Not a bad idea to call and request them and keep a couple copies on hand.

Jason

I would get at least two copies in separate envelopes. You can open one to review your transcript and keep the other sealed in the envelope. Many employers want sealed transcripts.

Take care and fly safe,

C Bow

Ok, for those of you that answered this:
What is an acceptable GPA? I'll be honest with you, my grades were not that great. I'm not going to try and explain myself, but lets just say that I had few rough semesters in the very beginning. It took a little while to really buckle down and take school seriously.

For those of you in school right now, don't F around. Trust me, you will regret it later.
grin.gif

Somewhere around 3.0 is fine.. get much lower then 2.5 and people might start having doubts whether you can handle the intensive training after getting hired.

Let me throw a curve in here.

I'm in my late 30's. I graduated high school 20 years ago where I was a solid "B" student with an occasional "C" and I graduated college (the first time) in 1989 where I was a solid "B/C" student.... 14 years ago.... I've been in the "real world" since graduating from college....

Since graduation, I've done pretty well for myself. Got money in the bank. I own a house, two cars... a bunch of other cool sh*t.....I have great credit.....and, as far as aviation is concerned, I scored VERY high on all of my writtens to date.....

...here's the curve/question:

How much emphasis do my grades have now?

I'm going to say... little.

I would say that grades are not going to be the ultimate determining factor. I would say that if your grades are high enough to graduate, then that should be ok. Just be ready to explain some of your lower grades to them when they ask. They are going to take the "whole person" approach when hiring, or at least they should. They will look at your life: schooling, work experience, flight training, activities, etc. Just because you weren't the greatest student on earth doesn't mean that you won't be able to get through a new hire ground school. I just graduated last week, not the greatest GPA but it works. I am one of those students that could give a rats behind about economics or accounting - I don't like them so I don't do well in them. Put me in an aviation class and I love it so I will do well. I am just trying to say don't get too worried about your grades overall. As long as the other parts of your life are in place, they'll take it all into consideration. I know of a ANG pilot or two that got selected and had some pretty bad college GPAs, all because they looked at the whole person.

Happy Flying!
grin.gif

I'm not sure if your post was in response to mine, but here's the gist of my post:

I'm not worried about the grades I received 15 to 20 years ago and neither will the airlines when I get there.

I have to be honest when I say that I have never - not once - been asked by a potential employer - to provide my grades.

Not saying that an airline won't, but I doubt - HIGHLY doubt - that (by then) 20-25 year old grades are going to be an issue.

R2F, they are definitely going to question why you didn't score higher in Music Theory 201, 80's hairband history. Damn Flock of Seagulls ruins another future pilot's career..
grin.gif

Heya,

I've got a 2.83 GPA right now. I had a 3.14 until a bad semester (lotsa crap went down that semester), and I'm still trying to recover from it. The one thing I DO have for myself is that I have nearly a 4.0 in my major classes. That right there says something as Bluestreak has mentioned. I didn't care about MUS 151 (Music apprec. jazz/pop) or Geography 105 (Bluestreak knows what I'm talkin' about), but I certinally did well in all my AVS courses, and I'm doing well in my poli sci classes.

It's all taken into account.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Not trying to start any bashing, but not caring about things that you feel don't apply isn't the greatest attitude to have.

Say something comes along in your career in aviation that you don't like and you decide to half ass your way through it, and your employer notices and doen't care for it. I am not saying you will do it, but the way you tend to do things can carryover. I have taken plenty of courses I don't care for, but I tried to get at least a B if not an A in them. It is a challenge I set for myself and has given me 3.7. Trust me, it will you feel good after you have done it.

hey john-
i graduated from western. i know exactly what your talking about with geog 105. that class sucked. especially the lab. did you have to go out and read that stupid a$$ sundial?

Hollywood - I remember doing that sundial experiment a couple years ago when I took Geog 105.
grin.gif

Iruppert - I agree with what you are saying about putting forth effort in classes that aren't interesting. I didn't mean to portray that I didn't put any effort into those classes or that anybody else should neglect them. All classes in a particular major are important for the well rounded education. I evidently did well enough in those classes to graduate. Bottom line is to try to focus as much as possible and work hard while you are in school and it will pay off in the future. Like you said, you'll feel better about it in when you're done.

I like A300capt's motto (I believe it was capt, apologies if I'm misquoting).

"D's get Degrees"

Back