College program for helicopter training - questions

jttocs

My son who will be graduating high school this year is interested in training as a helicopter pilot and trying to get as much info as possible. There's obviously alot of colleges with aviation programs. Since it looks like you're on your own to pay for flight training separately from a college program, can a student choose to do helicopter training rather than fixed winged training as part of a college program? Does flight training qualify for financial aid as part of a college program? Thanks for any info!

Wow...that sounds awesome. I was in AFROTC at my college, but of course they weren't going to send you to flight school until you commissioned. I bet if you drop out of UND's program, you're going to owe a heck of a lot back to them.

My son who will be graduating high school this year is interested in training as a helicopter pilot and trying to get as much info as possible. There's obviously alot of colleges with aviation programs. Since it looks like you're on your own to pay for flight training separately from a college program, can a student choose to do helicopter training rather than fixed winged training as part of a college program? Does flight training qualify for financial aid as part of a college program? Thanks for any info!

I would check out Palm Beach Community College. They offer either fixed or rotor training. I've been to the school and have taken credits, though not for aviation. It's a nice campus and the airport is only 1-3 miles down the road from the school. I'm not sure where you are located and if re-locating is an option, but I would check them out. http://www.pbcc.edu/x1921.xml

It is tougher to find helicopter "college" schools. There are more private based companies out there that offer career programs. That's worth a shot as well. I wouldn't get an aviation degree though. That is my opinion. It's better to have a fallback option in case of medical reason, or even employment reasons, etc. Just one word of advice. Do not pay money up front to any school. (Google Silver State Helicopters, and you'll see what I mean :panic:) You should be allowed to pay as you go, or at least a minimal amount to save 10% or something similar per flight hour. Some schools do this. Just don't ever sign a contract where the school wants 60K upfront on the table before you can start flying.

Jetcareers is a great place. However, if you are more helicopter minded, I would head over to verticalreference.com or justhelicopters.com where it's nothing but helicopter threads. You will find a wealth of info there. Good luck with your sons ambitions. As soon as I finish my respiratory therapy program, and get situated, I will start flying helicopters again. Good luck! Hope I was of some help.

If your kid goes to UND they can get it all for free...kinda...

http://www.flyrotc.com/home.html

Wow...that sounds awesome. I was in AFROTC at my college, but of course they weren't going to send you to flight school until you commissioned. I bet if you drop out of UND's program, you're going to owe a heck of a lot back to them.

When I visited UND last year there was a high school kid who wanted to fly helicopters. The counselor told him he is better off learning in airplanes because it is CHEAPER...You think airplanes are expensive...the cost of the helicopter program was rediculous!:drool: Get it as an add on.

When I visited UND last year there was a high school kid who wanted to fly helicopters. The counselor told him he is better off learning in airplanes because it is CHEAPER...You think airplanes are expensive...the cost of the helicopter program was rediculous!:drool: Get it as an add on.

...but it is free. You can get the army to pay for it all!

Back