College Degree

K902

The New Guy
Anyone flying corporate with just an associates degree?? How many corporate jobs require a bachelors degree as a minimum??

To answer your question, it is all going to depend on the company in all honesty. Some may and some may not. Corporate is a different animal bc although an advertised job posting may say a degree is required, Jon X might get the job without a degree because his best buddy is the chief pilot. That is one of the things that makes corporate unique, the rules can be bent and changed to meet the need of the particular company.

the half a dozen buddies of mine that fly corporate all say their companies don't require it...

...networking is much more difficult than a degree...

I'm captain on a CJ1 for a private operator here in California, with just an Associates degree. I agree, corporate is more about who you know and the type of person you are than your education background.

All of that said (and I'm in the same boat as you, aspiring for Part 91/135 with no degree at the moment), I've been told over and over and over that while it may not be necessary, a degree goes a long way to making you more competitive, or at the very least, AS competitive. Especially in Part 91/135, where most of the people in the back are the type that place a rather high value on that paper on the wall.

Anyone flying corporate with just an associates degree?? How many corporate jobs require a bachelors degree as a minimum??
I'm an ATP flying corporate and airline right now as a high school graduate. I do have just three classes to complete for my BA in geography and GIS, not sure when that is going to fit in though with baby on the way and 3000mile commutes.

The PIC I fly with doesn't have a bachelors degree, but I do. I think its more so experience and who you know, but the degree does help along the way if you are lacking a little in one or the other.

I have a 2 year associates degree so it's not like I don't have any degree at all. I just don't have the time (or money) to go back to finish a 4 year. Thanks again for all the replies!!

I have a 2 year associates degree so it's not like I don't have any degree at all. I just don't have the time (or money) to go back to finish a 4 year. Thanks again for all the replies!!
Having the associates makes it so much easier when you do go back to get that degree. My wife had one I didn't, now she has a BS and I got nothing in the same time.

Having the associates makes it so much easier when you do go back to get that degree. My wife had one I didn't, now she has a BS and I got nothing in the same time.
Yeah I suppose that's true. Maybe after I get some more time and ratings I can work on the bachlors!

Yeah I suppose that's true. Maybe after I get some more time and ratings I can work on the bachlors!
That was my thinking as well and now I have a baby on the way and I have to commute to the middle of the Pacific. :eek:

That was my thinking as well and now I have a baby on the way and I have to commute to the middle of the Pacific. :eek:
Oh... wow. I thought you were kidding and being funny in the post I liked a few rows up. Holy crap, man. Many well wishes for success.

Oh... wow. I thought you were kidding and being funny in the post I liked a few rows up. Holy crap, man. Many well wishes for success.

Yeah that's where I am in my life right now. Still wouldn't change it for the world though. My backup plans all don't require degrees so it doesn't look like I will be getting one anytime soon.

I just wish there was an online program that would allow me to take my Spanish and math classes so I could just finish my degree, the college said no go. I really don't feel like transferring to my 5th college.

Yeah that's where I am in my life right now. Still wouldn't change it for the world though. My backup plans all don't require degrees so it doesn't look like I will be getting one anytime soon.

I just wish there was an online program that would allow me to take my Spanish and math classes so I could just finish my degree, the college said no go. I really don't feel like transferring to my 5th college.

Could you study on your own and CLEP the requirements or some other kind of test-out?

I think for some small operators a degree is a value added thing too. I was able to make a little more at one
charter company cause I was willing to do some sales and marketing in addition to flying.

Back