Colgan shrinking..the official word.

Can you post the whole memo?

Wonder what this means for those of us in class. Everytime Eds cell phone rings during ground school, we all wonder if that will be the call telling them to stop teaching and have us go home to pack our bags.

-Rob

Ed as in Ed Y??? Is he still teaching indoc for you guys or is this a different Ed?

The Q is staffed (if you count the few guys about to finish training) at 5.5 crews per plane and that is counting 15 planes when in actuality we run 14 planes with 1 spare.

The issues are with colgans poor scheduling at times. They dont keep enough on reserve or on hot reserve or who knows what they are doing. My last 3 days of standup overnights I was extended on day 1 to fly a IAD out and back and then the next day my CA was extended to fly a RIC out and back and then the day after we both were extented to fly a RIC out and back. The problem is outstation basing. I have no idea why they think we need bases in PIT, BWI, ORF and I suppose I can understand ALB being that it is THE mx base.

Another issue with staffing that we run into alot is FA's. I have no idea why they have completely different schedules then we do. We have many days when we may be running 30 minutes ahead of schedule and be looking at an hour to launch the next flight when our FAs will leave because they are doing a plane swap and then we will be delayed an hour plus because our new FAs are coming in from who knows where. System wide it would not surprise me to see that cjc takes 5 delays per day because of this. We got an email from BM saying that they want our numbers up to equal or better our express counterparts and they are looking for suggestions how. How about lose the oustations or at the very least have the FAs bid the exact same schedules as the pilots.

The Q is staffed (if you count the few guys about to finish training) at 5.5 crews per plane and that is counting 15 planes when in actuality we run 14 planes with 1 spare.

The issues are with colgans poor scheduling at times. They dont keep enough on reserve or on hot reserve or who knows what they are doing. My last 3 days of standup overnights I was extended on day 1 to fly a IAD out and back and then the next day my CA was extended to fly a RIC out and back and then the day after we both were extented to fly a RIC out and back. The problem is outstation basing. I have no idea why they think we need bases in PIT, BWI, ORF and I suppose I can understand ALB being that it is THE mx base.

Another issue with staffing that we run into alot is FA's. I have no idea why they have completely different schedules then we do. We have many days when we may be running 30 minutes ahead of schedule and be looking at an hour to launch the next flight when our FAs will leave because they are doing a plane swap and then we will be delayed an hour plus because our new FAs are coming in from who knows where. System wide it would not surprise me to see that cjc takes 5 delays per day because of this. We got an email from BM saying that they want our numbers up to equal or better our express counterparts and they are looking for suggestions how. How about lose the oustations or at the very least have the FAs bid the exact same schedules as the pilots.

USMC your the man - I've never understood this either. Makes absolutely no sense.

Not in all bases. LGA FAs have random lines most of the time. Probably a hub vs outstation base thing.

Interesting conference call so far...50-60 pilots furloughed...pulling 4 Saabs

I do have some good news here. First off, the company, was thinking ahead and kept us slimly staffed on the Saab and Beech to prevent furloughs. Good job to management.

Secondly, in my opinion, the current Q staffing model does NOT work. We need about 7 or 8 crews per airplane dealing with EWR. Our block times are not that accurate. I almost hit a 30/7 issue flying IOE working three days if they did not drop a roundtrip. I think they are going to need more guys to transition down the road.

I think/hope those here are going to be ok.

Inaccurate block times? Not enough crews to staff the planes? If you guys park all over the place in EWR, then you coulda just described our ATL flying.

Block times for the -900 flying in ATL are no where near realistic (13 minutes to taxi in ATL??!? Are you kidding me?) and we're going from 5 crews per plane to 7 crews.

Sounds more and more like PCL doesn't wanna get put in the same situation again with the Q as they were with the -900.

Our F/As haven't had the same schedules as the pilots for 13 years. Used to be you had the same crew all month...in the olden days.

USMC your the man - I've never understood this either. Makes absolutely no sense.

Mayve somebody can elighten me... but what are FA duty day limits? does it match up with our 8/30/100? also in their contract, what are the duty day limits?

TBH, I have said it before, and will say it again, Management at Colgan, eg, upper level generaly knows what they are doing. Yes, the work rules need work, but guess what... You knew what they were when you started. Can't blame them for something you signed onto.

90% of the issues that people complain of, are scheduling related. Crew schedulers are not upper management. Half of them have no experience in aviation prior. This also means that most of them don't understand what it's like on the pilots side. I think all Colgan schedulers should be made to ride an EWR crew jump seat for a week - I bet you would see quite a change in SOP's then.

Colgan has wanted "out" of the USair system for a while. It is all at risk, and anytime Colgan starts to turn a profit, USair pulls Colgan and puts PDT,PSA,AWAC on the run. This comes as no supprise to me.

Mayve somebody can elighten me... but what are FA duty day limits? does it match up with our 8/30/100? also in their contract, what are the duty day limits?

TBH, I have said it before, and will say it again, Management at Colgan, eg, upper level generaly knows what they are doing. Yes, the work rules need work, but guess what... You knew what they were when you started. Can't blame them for something you signed onto.

90% of the issues that people complain of, are scheduling related. Crew schedulers are not upper management. Half of them have no experience in aviation prior. This also means that most of them don't understand what it's like on the pilots side. I think all Colgan schedulers should be made to ride an EWR crew jump seat for a week - I bet you would see quite a change in SOP's then.

Colgan has wanted "out" of the USair system for a while. It is all at risk, and anytime Colgan starts to turn a profit, USair pulls Colgan and puts PDT,PSA,AWAC on the run. This comes as no supprise to me.

I'm senior enough to where the furloughs shouldn't get to me (but you never know what the future holds), but for once i'm not mad that they gave me the Q after I was hired onto the Saab.

Memo out today from Buddy

"accordingly, effective september 3rd, we will pull down the LGA operation to coincide with our partners capacity reductions. Our presence in LGA will shrink greatly and we will endeavor to minimize the impact on our fellow Colgan Air Family Members."

:(:(
CAL is adding 4 dailies to ITH. Wonder if 9L is going to pull the saab outta there and get some more Q flying.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080702/ny_continental_service.html?.v=1

Back