Colgan Rumor

While I would love to have a -700 or -900 base in Denver, I don't see it as a possibility unless one of the current operators in there goes into Ch.11/7. The rumor always grows when the cloud intensifies over Mesa. I could see mgmt use all attempts to get the Q400's all over the various carriers. Growth with continental and expansion into the DL network and United/Airways is in the business mindset of mgmt. I could see that as positive for PNCL corp and only positive for both pilot groups as a whole if we are all dealt with on the same level. Less than 2 weeks til we know the deal on the pilot groups.

Yeah, it's almost sad how many people start drooling whenever Mesa starts circling the drain. Then it's like their world has been crushed when Mesa pulls out of the spiral once again. If I had any extra money to bet, I'd wager management is shopping the Q400 a hell of a lot more than the -900. The -200 is a lost cause, but PT has said numerous times that if we wanna make the -900 program worthwhile, we need more than 16 airframes. Me thinks Uncle Phil needs to get on the ball and actually, well, do his job.

For what it's worth, he did stop by on Thanksgiving and toss a bag or two. Several more months of the "Lookee, I'm Herb Kelleher" speech.

I heard a rumor if you guys vote down ALPA you'll get a pay raise and new flying.

Oh wait that was us. And we (as a pilot group) bought it. :banghead:

HA! You want ME to live in LALA land? Everyone knows all the flakes live in that part of the world! :p ;)

HEY! I resemble that remark. :panic:

Yeah, I guess you can take the girl out of the city but you can't take the city out of the girl. Or maybe you CAN'T take the girl out of the city. ;)

Yea, any west coast base would certainly cause a fight, and would go fairly senior. A few guys out of Dulles commute from the west coast....I could see a west coast base for Colgan causing the Pinnacle guys to want that seniority list merger a little more.

That would be my read as well.

The line here has been "Do you really think a guy flying an RJ wants to go fly a Saab out of Houston, or a Q400 out of Newark?" Well the answer is no with a few exceptions. However "Do you really think a guy flying an RJ wants to go fly a Q out of LAX?" I bet you could find a ton of people over a 9E who would want it.

Again, probably a very good take on the situation. That would open up possibilites for Colgan pilots as well in the Eastern theater of operations.

Oh wait that was us. And we (as a pilot group) bought it. :banghead:

Yep. Promises, promises. Wish in one hand and shiite in the other. See which one gets fulfilled first. :rolleyes:

Yea, any west coast base would certainly cause a fight, and would go fairly senior. A few guys out of Dulles commute from the west coast.

I could see a west coast base for Colgan causing the Pinnacle guys to want that seniority list merger a little more. The line here has been "Do you really think a guy flying an RJ wants to go fly a Saab out of Houston, or a Q400 out of Newark?" Well the answer is no with a few exceptions. However "Do you really think a guy flying an RJ wants to go fly a Q out of LAX?" I bet you could find a ton of people over a 9E who would want it.

I may be out of line but I disagree on the west coast notion of 9E folks. There are a few that are from and/or commute from the west coast but I distinctly recall the banter on the company board when we were awaiting where our -900's would be based. The rumors were LAX, ATL, or SLC. Folks were very much against LAX, some were supportive of SLC, and ATL was the favorite from my recollection. Most folks either live in base or within a 1 flight commute being that our schedules and reserve makeup make QOL absolute hell for commuters.

I would like those on the 9L side to know that 9E is not going after 9L folks (that means there airframes or their routes), but we want to secure that we won't end up in a go-jets type situation and we do not want to continue the whipsaw like setup that mgmt strategizes toward. Beyond these common misconceptions folks should think more about what ALPA is for- it's not the fight against a single mgmt group (though it does) , it's for the overall improvement of the profession and the overall enhancement of QOL through the power of a union. Few nations have the right to unionize like the various labor groups in the US, why not utilize the rights that those before have worked towards. Having two ALPA groups under one holding company will have much more control vs. having one ALPA group and one non-union. 9L CANNOT be stapled WHICHEVER WAY THE VOTE ENDS, but will have more options and fare far better by being under their own chapter of ALPA when the mgmt folks come down with demands, threats, and ultimatums. Its unfortunate that the post 9/11 slide is just now coming to a halt and is facing the uphill climb of a recession, that being said everyone is now shifted towards the side of unions- why not be on the side that will only help. It's ironic that the "promises of mgmt positives" only arrives when the ALPA vote comes around, how did that work out last year with mgmt? Just my thoughts after a venti starbucks!!!weeeee!!!:panic:

Well, how long did you expect Pinnacle to operate them as two seperate companies. It had to happen sooner or later.

That's what makes me laugh about the scare tactics Colgan is using on their pilots. "If you vote ALPA, PNCL pilots will take your flying."

Its all going to be merged anyway, with or without ALPA. And once the pilot lists are combined (some sort of ratio deal no doubt) there will be another representation election anyway.

How stupid does the Company think the pilots are, anyway?

Every 5 months we get the "BIG RUMOR" rumor here at colgan...

I think management starts it so they can track how fast it circles :)

Anyways, our big Announcements will not come from Colgan, they will come from our code shares first. Watch the company investment reports/releases and thats where you will find it.

Well, how long did you expect Pinnacle to operate them as two seperate companies. It had to happen sooner or later.

That's what makes me laugh about the scare tactics Colgan is using on their pilots. "If you vote ALPA, PNCL pilots will take your flying."

Its all going to be merged anyway, with or without ALPA. And once the pilot lists are combined (some sort of ratio deal no doubt) there will be another representation election anyway.

How stupid does the Company think the pilots are, anyway?

I really don't think that the company plans on merging the two companies. It doesn't make sense.

I really don't think that the company plans on merging the two companies. It doesn't make sense.

I don't think they plan on merging the two companies as far as labor groups go, but they're already moving towards consolidating office space and SOC.

colgan in LA? good luck. FO's would be commuting out of Blythe or barstow on colgan pay. I lived in LA on colgan FO pay. THank god for a sugga mama

What's the over/under on Pinnacle swallowing Colgan eventually?

Depends on who you talk to. Management will tell you until they're blue in the face they want to keep the two totally separate, but at the same time they're working deals with local government on tax breaks and shopping for office space to combine the two.

They definitely want to keep the labor groups separate in case a whipsaw opportunity comes around. Then they can play the two off of each other. Thing is, if they combine TOO much, and ALPA will file a single carrier petition in a heartbeat.

I think it'll eventually happen, but it might be a case of later rather than sooner.

colgan in LA? good luck. FO's would be commuting out of Blythe or barstow on colgan pay. I lived in LA on colgan FO pay. THank god for a sugga mama

Dude there are some WEIRD people out in Blythe.

I sat right seat on an Amflight run that went there and then up to Bullhead City, NV. Every time we landed I was waiting for the Tusken Raiders to come out and steal our airplane (the sand people from Star Wars).

I sat right seat on an Amflight run that went there and then up to Bullhead City, NV. Every time we landed I was waiting for the Tusken Raiders to come out and steal our airplane (the sand people from Star Wars).

John I think its a safe bet that you dont have to go explaining what a Tusken Raider is to a bunch of pilots on a internet forum. :)

Depends on who you talk to. Management will tell you until they're blue in the face they want to keep the two totally separate, but at the same time they're working deals with local government on tax breaks and shopping for office space to combine the two.

They already have this all worked out. they are moving to Down Town Memphis. They just told us they are considering it.

I am pretty sure they have a lot of business advantages by combining the lists. I think this is very likely in the next year or two.

yep, the sand ppl up there are a whole different breed. Personally, I'd rather live in Siberia. I can only imagine what kind of stuff you were hauling into or out of Blythe.

Back