Colgan EAS update

I think it's a mistake to attempt service into the smaller communities in the "great white north". Other airlines in the past have long abandoned these markets to smaller aircraft with the hopes of making a profit on these thin routes. I also think that it's going to be a mistake operating Cessna 402s in these markets due to weather/weight/fuel equations not equalling service thats reliable.
Perhaps I am biased, but the only replacement for a Beech 1900 is another Beech 1900. The northern New England routes are tailor-made for using the strengths that the 1900 brings. Colgan is basically hoping that summertime profits will offset wintertime losses and cancellations. Personally, I can't see PNCL Holdings staying in these markets beyond the next EAS (If EAS still exists after the election) contract re-negotiations. Colgan has always relied upon the lucrative summer travel season in New England to keep in the black, however, these profits are finite and small compared to the potential for operating "large turboprops (Future of CJC is the Q and eventually being an "all-Q" airline modelled after Horizon.) Let's hope that Colgan/PNCL Holdings mgt. sees the folly of operating a diversified fleet on thin routes, concentrates on the traffic dense northeast and underutilized hubs like PIT, IAD and RDU. OK, jumping off the soap box fellas.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

BE19Pilot,

I think a 1900 makes a lot of sense as well. Very rarely do we see full 1900's up here which means the Saab will probably be quite empty on some occasions. But it's better to move forward than back to a 402. In my opinion, that would have been a mistake and that's not to take anything away from Cape Air. The problem is the general public isn't receptive to flying aircraft that small. However, any future success Colgan has up here is dependant on many what-ifs at this point. RKD has chosen to go with the 402 and many of those customers may opt to drive elsewhere for service which includes AUG, but then again most may be ok with the 402. Also, the BHB and AUG flights will be combined which is good because loads for both are decent (especially BHB) in the summer and that means potentially full Saabs in the summer. But, as you mentioned, the offseason could prove to be costly. I guess we'll see what happens. It seems to me that seasonal service makes more sense especially BHB.

On a side note, I found out that the Saab may be pushed back into December. At this point we know it's coming in it's just a matter of when.

With all the service reductions in BGR, hopefully BHB and AUG can market and catch the passengers that would have been flying out of BGR, rather than portland.

With all the service reductions in BGR, hopefully BHB and AUG can market and catch the passengers that would have been flying out of BGR, rather than portland.

With the Saab coming in, airport management is going to try and promote it (bathroom/FA etc) and service out of AUG.

With the Saab coming in, airport management is going to try and promote it (bathroom/FA etc) and service out of AUG.

I think you'll find pax #'s out of AUG will be the same no matter the "advertisement". Folks drive to Manchester for SWA or Portland for a "jet". Once again BHB will be financially carrying CJC on the Maine runs. :)

I cant wait until next summer when the ramp is a cluster and nobody can go anywhere all because of the saab parked infront of the terminal.

I hope they can figure out an arrangement to push the saab back onto Alpha from the "magic box". Having enough space on that ramp for the Saab to do a 180 to get out of there is NOT going to happen.

I think you'll find pax #'s out of AUG will be the same no matter the "advertisement". Folks drive to Manchester for SWA or Portland for a "jet". Once again BHB will be financially carrying CJC on the Maine runs. :)

Yeah I agree. I can't see a drastic increase in pax here but hopefully a few more. I think it's a good idea to combine BHB and AUG for flights. I think it will (mostly in the summer) make for better loads.

I cant wait until next summer when the ramp is a cluster and nobody can go anywhere all because of the saab parked infront of the terminal.

I hope they can figure out an arrangement to push the saab back onto Alpha from the "magic box". Having enough space on that ramp for the Saab to do a 180 to get out of there is NOT going to happen.

Yeah and just imagine when one breaks down and it has to be pushed to the side.

Anyone know when AUG is closing as a base? The schedule shows that they will be combining BHB and AUG flights begining at the end of October.

The saab tip to tip is not all that much larger than the 1900 was, and has powered nose wheel steering. It can acutally turn in just about the same radius as the 1900

Yeah I agree. I can't see a drastic increase in pax here but hopefully a few more. I think it's a good idea to combine BHB and AUG for flights. I think it will (mostly in the summer) make for better loads.

I'd be willing to bet a 10 spot that those BHB flights in the summer are completely full (well full for the underpowered and over engineered Saab) with 7 flights a day. Maybe combine BHB and AUG for the winter.

I'd be willing to bet a 10 spot that those BHB flights in the summer are completely full (well full for the underpowered and over engineered Saab) with 7 flights a day. Maybe combine BHB and AUG for the winter.

I know they are combining them for this fall and winter. If loads are that good next summer they'll probably add more flights in BHB to help matters.

I'd bet a 10 spot that TC is and will complain about moving to the saab for at least 6 months... esp. now that it won't be a pay raise for him

I'd bet a 10 spot that TC is and will complain about moving to the saab for at least 6 months... esp. now that it won't be a pay raise for him

All indications are that BHB will open as a Saab base (unless BOS opens) and then life will be good for him. And he's definitely got the seniority to hold it.

Back