COLA+ and Corp salary.

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
This has been an interesting year for sure- I've held off of merit increases this year as we are consistently above NBAA salary for the region and equipment - typically we increase via Cola+ % Depending on duty load etc. We fly roughly 130 hours a year , large cabin. COLA this year is 8.7% I'm not really looking for salary, but wondering what people have been seeing for annual compensation increases this fall. NBAA is lagging greatly and doesn't reflect current inflation rates or other cost of living increases.

Sent from my SM-F936U using Tapatalk

I am at a Fortune 150 company and our annual raise is done in the Spring after the fiscal year closes and we have completed our performance reviews. The raise in 2022 was 3.25%. That said, our salaries were very behind for the types that we operate and after unexpectedly losing somebody and struggling to replace him, HR came to the table with an adjustment in September. My salary increased 41% and there was no change to our annual stock grant and annual bonus that is targeted at 20%. That bonus is obviously worth a lot more at the new salary.

Director/Chief Pilot is pushing heavy for our increase in the Spring to be in the 5-10% range. There has been some agreement from HR as they understand that is what it will take to not fall way behind again. Them understanding is different than giving in though so we'll see in March what really happens.

I am at a Fortune 150 company and our annual raise is done in the Spring after the fiscal year closes and we have completed our performance reviews. The raise in 2022 was 3.25%. That said, our salaries were very behind for the types that we operate and after unexpectedly losing somebody and struggling to replace him, HR came to the table with an adjustment in September. My salary increased 41% and there was no change to our annual stock grant and annual bonus that is targeted at 20%. That bonus is obviously worth a lot more at the new salary.

Director/Chief Pilot is pushing heavy for our increase in the Spring to be in the 5-10% range. There has been some agreement from HR as they understand that is what it will take to not fall way behind again. Them understanding is different than giving in though so we'll see in March what really happens.
Thank you, and yes having to replace a pilot right now means poaching a type rated pilot... getting into the schoolhouse is hard.

Interested to hear, and I imagine it might be just plain old networking after years in the industry, but where do you guys find these unicorn jobs?

Interested to hear, and I imagine it might be just plain old networking after years in the industry, but where do you guys find these unicorn jobs?

Hearing about them really isn't that hard anymore. My company had our job postings on multiple sites for about 6 months. NBAA Jobs first and then BizJetJobs and I believe some others. I know I saw it on Corporate Aviation Job Listings on Facebook and it made PPW twice. CAJL and PPW are probably the best 2 resources for finding 91/135 jobs.

Now all that said, hearing about the job is a lot different than hearing back from somebody after applying. Being type rated in the equipment operated is huge right now because of lack of training slots. I was booked for G280 school back in June and the next available initial class was January. We are a full service client with FSI on 2 different types and the best they could do was putting me on the cancellation list. I ended up in an October class. Some types are booked solid for 2023 already. 1 of our new hires started in November and is going to school in March and that is only because we booked that over the summer.

I should also say that there are still gigs nobody outside of immediate contacts will ever hear about. Those are generally for self managed HNWI planes. Corporations will always post to fulfill legal processes. The big 3 management companies generally always will as well.

I was the program manager at FSI for one of the airplanes that we operated. Got to know the company, and got in at the right time. I know it's cliche, but, in the secret 91 society - you make your own luck. It's 100% who you know- and you'll make those connections in the most random of places. For example- a lot of management for larger Bedford departments will have boats on lake Winnipesaukee. Pop in and talk to a boat salesman and he'll probably name-drop the other "pilots" that are customers. Be extra nice and you might get an intro. (Believe it or not, this is how we ended up in our current plane)

Also if typed get your name on contract lists.

Totally agree with the above. I spent half the summer sitting at the corporate FBO pilot lounge in Yakima, WA. Just being friendly. Could have had an easy lead on a Pilatus Air Ambo job and a outfit that manages several 91 jets in Oregon. The problem is I don't want to work full time. Or even half time. Quarter time sounds about right...

Well that was disappointing. Annual review last week and received a whopping 3.25%.

Dude I beat my head against this wall for 13 years or so. Granted it was the worst time to look and all. I'd keep those peen envy F18 stories polished up and whatever other advantage you'd think would help because I have no idea how to crack the code.

We've been behind inflation for two years now (3-4%ish, depending on performance). We're still ahead of median rates in type for total compensation, but it's definitely not a good look in this hiring market. There's a perennially pending rebalance that's supposed to bump everyone up significantly (very high cost-of-living area), but none of us are holding our breath.

Back