Cockpit's "Windshield"?

BoeingDrew

Cockpit\'s \"Windshield\"?

A thought occured to me today, does the "windshield" (What do you call it?) of an aircraft fog up? You know, like when you get into your car during a cold morning and it fogs up. Does this same effect occur in aircaft? What features does the airplane have to counter-act this? Thanks in advance for any help!
cool.gif

Happy Holidays!!

Re: Cockpit\'s \"Windshield\"?

Yup!

We have an ANTIFOG switch in the cockpit which heats the inner pane of the windscreen.

Most aircraft have a pretty effective method of dealing with fog. In the Learjet bleed air (very hot) is directed over the windshield to defog it, in many other jets the panes are electrically heated. In many aircraft the windshield heat is on all the time in flight. If the windshield gets too cold it could shatter due to a bird strike, however, when heated the pane is more flexible and hopefully will absorb the impact.

Smaller planes come equipped with a giant fan in front of the cockpit that blows the condensation off.

I've been told that sometimes the first officer's jacket is used to clear off the fog on the inside of the windshield. And the stuff I am looking foward to...

Ethan

Doug, Is it also true on some planes that there is something called a "dead dog switch" that heats the cargo hold?

We have cargo air conditioning... and in the event things get too hot and start smoking, then we activate the "puppy snuffer"...cargo firex
tongue.gif

The CRJ's windshields are electrically heated..we put them into the low position in the before start checklist.

[ QUOTE ]
Smaller planes come equipped with a giant fan in front of the cockpit that blows the condensation off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst plane I ever flew, in respect to windows fogging up was the Seminole. I used to spend the first 5-10 minutes in the aircraft with one engine at idle with the Janatrol running in an attempt to clear the windows.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug, Is it also true on some planes that there is something called a "dead dog switch" that heats the cargo hold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on any aircraft that I flew.

On the 727 and MD-88, as far as I know, certain cargo bins are heated whenever the air conditioners are on.

We have electrically heated windshields, both front and side. The side are only heated on the front 2/3 of the shield, however. One day in September we pulled into the gate early in the morning, and due to the humidity the windshields fogged up to where they were nearly opaque. We just flicked on the heats, and within a minute they were clear again. In the Saab, we don't use window heat unless necessary for anti-icing purposes.

Back