Cockpit Organization

Mustang17c

I am trying to figure out a good cockpit organization system (IFR mostly ) as far as kneeboards, en-routes, approach plates, etc...
I have tried a few things such as bound NOS plates on my lap, loose NOS sheets on a simple kneeboard, yoke clips, etc... but I am still having trouble keeping all my stuff organized
I am asking all you pilots out there what kind of system/kneeboards you use during IFR flight. There is a lot out there and I know everybody has a different system

I use a small Fly Boys (don't know the actual product name) kneeboard that's about the same size as a Jepp approach plate.

For IFR, I keep a small yellow notepad clipped onto my kneeboard, with all necessary plates clipped in as well. I have a 3-ring system attached to the kneeboard to hold my checklists (about the size of a Jepp plate as well) for easy access. Note that I did not say that I clip my low-enroutes onto my kneeboard. That takes up way too much space, so those go nicely folded up wedged between the top of the glareshield and windscreen.

For VFR, kneeboards be damned. I'll keep a sectional up on the glareshield, but I don't feel a full-blown kneeboard is necessary.

[ QUOTE ]
I use a small Fly Boys (don't know the actual product name) Note that I did not say that I clip my low-enroutes onto my kneeboard. That takes up way too much space, so those go nicely folded up wedged between the top of the glareshield and windscreen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that, brother!!! They also make outstanding sun screens!!!
grin.gif

I pretty much keep a blank piece of paper on my kneeboard, and that works nicely for copying clearances, route changes, weather and any other admin task. I'll take the neccesary plates out of the binder, and keep them under the blank paper on the kneeboard, and any low enroute that I'll need for the trip up on top of the glareshield.

My biggest organizational problem is the CDs. I'll usually keep 2 or 3 of them on the right seat, or in the little pocket-thingy by my knee!!
laugh.gif

ifr flight file is excellent, but you better get one quick, I hear the factory burned down and they are soon to be unavailable.

Lots of hotel pens & notepads for quick note-scratching, and a briefing card stuck in the eyebrow window, if necessary.

Just try to get in the habit of always putting the same stuff in the same place so you always know where to find what you need.

The Flight File =is= a great way for organizing the group of charts you will need.

The other thing I use is a standard 8.5 X 5.5 binder that you can get at any office supply. The 3-ring format fits all the 7-hole Jepp stuff and extra blank sheets are cheap.

I use dividers for phase of flight, from preflight planning through arrival, so all of the weather information, planning, checklists, charts (VFR or IFR), etc is available in one place. It's pretty convenient for those enroute stops. One book and a pen is all I have to bring inside - everything else is in there.

[ QUOTE ]
Best thingy, ever!
1401.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll second that!!! Muchos help in organizing a trip!

Thanks for the advice guys.
I was looking into the IFR flight file and will probably try it out. The binder sounds like a good idea Midlife Flyer. Any fancy kneeboard users out there?

How about night lighting systems (for illumniating your approach plates and charts at night without using the map light. So far I have tried a worm light type contraption which clipped to a simple kneeboard and lighted my plates and checklists pretty well. Any others out there using similar stuff?

I keep things simple.

I keep my approach binders (Jepp or NOS which ever I happen to have) on the floor between the front seats (in front of the fuel cotrol console). I keep my maps folded to the section I'm on (in the right seat or the other guy keeps track of them) and the GPS programed with my route. When it comes time to do an approach I pull the chart out and put it on the yoke board. My kneeboard always has scratch paper to write down ATIS (winds, alt setting) and instructions from ATC.

Works for me.

I just bought a new kneeboard the other day. I had the Jepp IFR kneeboard of doom, but the clips on that break VERY easily. I wound up getting a kneeboard that has holders for three pens/pencils, a flashlight, a clipboard, a CLEAR velcro strap perfect for NACO charts, and a binder ring for Jepp charts. Works PERFECTLY. If you fold the Jepp enroutes correctly, they fit on the clipboard under the blank sheet of paper. I normally keep my checklist on the b/w the windscreen and the panel, and my Jepp binder b/w the seats next to the fuel selector.

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought a new kneeboard the other day. I had the Jepp IFR kneeboard of doom, but the clips on that break VERY easily. I wound up getting a kneeboard that has holders for three pens/pencils, a flashlight, a clipboard, a CLEAR velcro strap perfect for NACO charts, and a binder ring for Jepp charts. Works PERFECTLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like mine.

This may sound funny, but as you "mature" in aviation you will find you need less "stuff". I remember when I had a new copilot show up in the Kind Air with a Knee board and flight gloves. I told him the gloves had to go, and in time I would wean him off the knee board. The last time I used a knee board was when I flew attack and had to manage a lot more information than a typical coporate flight. But for now you all would be wise to get organized and treat every flight with the proper amount of preperation.

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
This may sound funny, but as you "mature" in aviation you will find you need less "stuff".

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what you mean. I used to carry around a small flight bag, but as time went by, I slowly got rid of things I never use- my roommate loves it since I give half of it to him, because he is an instrument student, so he's still at the stage of carrying everything around.

When I show up for King Air flights, all I carry is my headset and a pen and a flashlight if its dark. We've got plenty of hotel notepads laying around to write things on if need be, and all the charts are usually already in the plane. Its nice not having to haul around a ton of useless crap (whats an E6B?
grin.gif
).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This may sound funny, but as you "mature" in aviation you will find you need less "stuff".

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what you mean. I used to carry around a small flight bag, but as time went by, I slowly got rid of things I never use- my roommate loves it since I give half of it to him, because he is an instrument student, so he's still at the stage of carrying everything around.

When I show up for King Air flights, all I carry is my headset and a pen and a flashlight if its dark. We've got plenty of hotel notepads laying around to write things on if need be, and all the charts are usually already in the plane. Its nice not having to haul around a ton of useless crap (whats an E6B?
grin.gif
).

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much same. Got a kneeboard for mission materials. Got a saddlebag that sits atop the dash either side of the hud for pubs/checklists/maps.

[ QUOTE ]
I wish we could carry less stuff! My flight kit weighs probably 25-35 lbs!

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you carrying? Nuclear ICBM launch codes?
laugh.gif

I still carry an attache full of charts, approach plates, calculators, plotters, clipboards, a transciever, fuel tester, and flashlights on every flight. Most of the time (on local flights) I don't use any of it, just nice to know it's there if I do need it. I do end up using the clipboard, a pad of paper, and (of course) my charts on cross country/IFR flights.

Back