Cockpit Flight?

United777300ER

Hey Everyone,

Joined this site when it was fairly new many months ago, have not been on for a while, but I am finally back. Well I am 14 years old and currently a student pilot flying out of Brown Field, California. I am also a member and fly along with EAA. Alright enough about me, I have a question for all you airline pilots out there. I will be flying on United in 2 weeks from SAN-SFO-Reno, on the 737-300 and 500 and my question is this: What are the chances of getting into the cockpit to look around during the flight? I know since 9-11 the security restrictions are intense, although at www.airliners.net, their photographers are still sometimes allowed into the cockpit during flight and sometimes they are even given the jumpseat during the whole flight! Well just wondering because it would be a dream come true for a 14 year old if it happened. Thanks a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Angad

Sorry A,

The chances of that door opening for anything other than
a pit stop or food/drinks is absolutely zero. You can go up before
and after if you like, but we don't screw around with that
door inflight anymore. Let me know the flight numbers
and I'll let you know if I'm flying it.

Hey again,

Well I will be leaving San Diego on August 9th and returning on August 13th. Here are the flight numbers.

SAN-SFO--flight number-1244
SFO-RENO--flight number-798

RENO-SFO--flight number-1411
SFO-SAN--flight number-955

I sat upfront on an A340 once - it was interesting, but when I was told they were serving drinks in the back I headed back to my seat and got my glass holding hand ready! I did go back up for landing - they had stopped serving drinks at that time.

I got to sit up front in an Aer Lingus A-330 going JFK-DUB, about 4 years ago. They let me stay up there crusing over the ocean for over 2 hours! It was truly an awesome experience. Do European airlines still allow this?

hmmm ive noticed that mostly european airlines and airlines from that area still sometims allow passengers into the cockpits during the flight, or get the jumpseat (not too often)

Nope, not me....
Try to board early and ask the flight attendant
if you could go up and talk to the crew.
They'll kick you out about 5-10min prior to
departure, and then you could go back up if
you want after the flight.

Yep, dont have mucvh of a chance of getting past the door once pushed back. or before on the blocks. I've tried it a couple of times but the only chance you will have to do that is if you fly on a European based airline (I have heard of them allowing it).

yea alright well thanks, i guess there's no harm in trying
smile.gif
, ill impress them with my knowledge of the 737's systems and all! who knows....well at least ill hopefully get a look at the cockpit and talk to the crew-always makes my body tinlge with excitement, even though i have about 150 hours of SIC time, flying on an airliner is a whole different world......enough said-thanks again for all the replies....appreciate it!

angad

150 hours of SIC time at 14????

You can't even hold a certificate or solo, I got to know where the SIC time comes from.
tongue.gif

haha yea ive been flying since i was almost 10 years old, i started out going every month till i got to know the pilots and now i fly with them, have been out for a little with school but i have a lot of SIC time, as i know about 10-15 pilots from EAA and they normally fly every saturday so i meet up with them and then they take me up for a spin and i get to land the plane if he agrees....always take-off but sometimes landing....depepnds on the weather conditions.....there is always fog there as its on an hill close to the ocean so the weather can sometimes be nasty! but yea ive been flying for a while mostly cessna 170 and piper tomahawk and sometimes when i get lucky i can hit the cessna 210!!! nice and turbocharged! lol sorry for the long story

angad

I still remember the good ole days when I would check out the cockpit mid-flight every time I was flying the airlines...........but those days have passed
crazy.gif
frown.gif
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ill impress them with my knowledge of the 737's systems and all!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea dont give up with just us, give it a shot. If I am going to give it a shot, I memeorize some what of a 'path' I believe the aircraft will take. Usually try to memorize the most possible SID/STAR as well. For instance if were flying from Houston, TX in Hartsfield Atlanta we will probally take Lagrange in. If were flying in from Charlotte, NC to Hartsfield we'll probally take LOGEN then MACEY2.

Don't try, there are only certain people that are allowed to ride in the cockpit during flight. These are FAA inspectors, company check airmen, and company pilots if the cabin is full.

wait a minute, I am confused about this SIC time thing.. are you logging your time bombing around right seat as SIC??

hehe....can I offer a little advice? Rip out those pages of your logbook now while you still can without making it look suspicous. Its not worth the hassle its going to cause you later on- as time cannot be logged at all by an unlicensed pilot, unless its dual received and signed by a CFI. Keep on flying with them though, you'll learn a lot!

yea ur right, well im not officially "logging" the time, its just for my own use and when other pilots ask me if i have any time, i can show them the logbook and then they can see and believe me. well true i should get rid of them in case when i start flying and logging PIC time then i might get mixed up and all. thanks again! u guys are all a big help, i regret coming back so late

angad

[ QUOTE ]
hehe....can I offer a little advice? Rip out those pages of your logbook now while you still can without making it look suspicous.

[/ QUOTE ]
You've got a couple of choices. I'm assuming you have some time
in the logbook that is signed from an instructor. If the logbook
is neat and looks professional, you can just remove the SIC and
flight time logged entrys from their boxes, but keep the record
of the flight just without loggable time for the flights without
an instructor, or, you can go back and transfer the loggable flight time
(with an instructor) to a new logbook
and ask the instructors to sign the new book. Because the former
will look a little like a mess, personally I would recommend starting
with a clean slate with proper time logged. In your new logbook,
make everything neat, the same color, and make sure your
calculations are perfect and the flight time is entered correctly
according to the FAR's. Your pilot's logbook is a representation
of the quality of your work. Don't play around with tearing out,
drawing, strange entries or anything that looks unprofessional.
You will pay for it in an interview. In general, if you're serious
about being a professional pilot, the earlier you start trying
to emulate that, the better.

Back