Cockpit Camera?

TylerC-IL

Hey,
I'm going on a trip in a couple months and I want to get a cockpit camera, one that takes pictures and videos. Any one have an idea of a good camera for that?
Thanks

According to the FAA, it can't be electronic. Search the forum for a Facebook "reporter" and see what kind of damage he is trying to do.

I have the lesser-capable GoPro Hero 3: White and it works just fine. Wish the battery lasted longer but you can get spares and extended-life ones.

If you can wait a few weeks, Sony will be releasing a 4k action camera (FDR-X1000). The important part of this camera for use in an airplane will be the image stabilization that Sony says they tweaked for high frequency vibration.

According to the FAA, it can't be electronic. Search the forum for a Facebook "reporter" and see what kind of damage he is trying to do.

I might just be talking out of my ass (you can totally say ass here!), but I think it can be electronic, it just can't be a "wireless communication device." So get the cheap GoPro and you're set.

I might just be talking out of my ass (you can totally say ass here!), but I think it can be electronic, it just can't be a "wireless communication device." So get the cheap GoPro and you're set.

Nope. Go check the FAR, then look up the Advisory Circular. It may be legal, but I wouldn't go posting videos on the web.

Does no one remember "that thread?"

If you can wait a few weeks, Sony will be releasing a 4k action camera (FDR-X1000). The important part of this camera for use in an airplane will be the image stabilization that Sony says they tweaked for high frequency vibration.

Bring up an old thread .....

So did you try out the camera yet?
I'm thinking about a VLOG camera for cockpit camera. Any thoughts ?

I'm not sure what thread you're talking about, but could it be the one where nobody actually read the AD and started spouting that it bans posting youtube videos even though it says nothing even close to that?

There was a thread we had where a reporter was going after guys for taking pictures in the cockpit. To take it even further, the FAA has banned PED's for commercial operations all together. The issued the final ruling back in 2014 if memory serves correct.

I'm not really privy to 91 rules. I haven't done it in years, and have no plans to.

There was a thread we had where a reporter was going after guys for taking pictures in the cockpit. To take it even further, the FAA has banned PED's for commercial operations all together. The issued the final ruling back in 2014 if memory serves correct.

I'm not really privy to 91 rules. I haven't done it in years, and have no plans to.

Oh, I thought you meant jumpseating to places while sitting reserve and taking cockpit photos from the Atlas 747 and posting them of the fact that you weren't anywhere near your assigned reserve location. Giving a whole new meaning to being on "long call". :)

Bring up an old thread .....

So did you try out the camera yet?
I'm thinking about a VLOG camera for cockpit camera. Any thoughts ?

Yes, I tried it. Still had vibration issues. The one we stuck on the tail had more vibration issues than the one on the wing. Sony has newer versions of this action cam out that have better stabilization, however, I have not tried them yet.

We did try the Sony AX33, which uses both a physical stabilization (they call it "BOSS" for balanced optical steady shot) and digital stabilization (which is what the action cameras use). The video footage from this camera was great until the attach point on the camera failed. Literally ripped the bottom of the camera off.

My best suggestion would be to use the newer version of the AX33 (AX53) with a mount designed to reduce vibration. We were using an nflight mount, which was solid (no vibration reduction).

I bought a GoPro to record my flights for YouTube then decided it was a bad idea to record from the cockpit. Just my opinion.

Plus, upload it on the Internet for keyboard FSX masters to blow up when you forget to look one way turning final or keep your flaps in 2.6 seconds longer than they were instructed....on the computer....

Back