Coast Guard options..........

CRW

Hello ya'll,

I'm looking to become an officer in the military, and as you can see from some of my previous posts, I've considering almost every branch. Upon weighing the pro's/con's of each branch, I've narrowed the choice to the USAF or the USCG.

Now, I'm leaning towards the Air Force because of it's ROTC programs at my nearby universities (ASU and U of A). The scholarships could be very beneficial. Also, the flying aspect. My eyes suck, but waivers are available (though, I take it, VERY hard to get). I wouldn't mind being a navigator (can somebody please explain why we still have these?) as my eyesight is more in line with navigator requirements. If I didn't receive a pilot slot, there are always UAV's and ICBM's (though I hear these are looked down upon)

I'm leaning towards the Coast Guard (yes, I'm doing lot's of leaning) because of my love of the water, and the possibility of serving on the Great Lakes (I've had a fascination with the great lakes for the longest time). It also seems as though I'd have more "fun" in the CG, don't ask why, I just get that impression. The flight aspect is a tad more dim, either the C-130, or the helos (sorry can't recall the names of the helicopters are the other jets). I don't mind flying helicopters at all, but the overall possibility of any flight position seems dim because of the coast guards overall size. Also, does anybody know of a CGROTC program, or must you go through OCS?

Any insight/suggestions are welcome.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hello ya'll,

I'm looking to become an officer in the military, and as you can see from some of my previous posts, I've considering almost every branch. Upon weighing the pro's/con's of each branch, I've narrowed the choice to the USAF or the USCG.

Now, I'm leaning towards the Air Force because of it's ROTC programs at my nearby universities (ASU and U of A). The scholarships could be very beneficial. Also, the flying aspect. My eyes suck, but waivers are available (though, I take it, VERY hard to get). I wouldn't mind being a navigator (can somebody please explain why we still have these?) as my eyesight is more in line with navigator requirements. If I didn't receive a pilot slot, there are always UAV's and ICBM's (though I hear these are looked down upon)

I'm leaning towards the Coast Guard (yes, I'm doing lot's of leaning) because of my love of the water, and the possibility of serving on the Great Lakes (I've had a fascination with the great lakes for the longest time). It also seems as though I'd have more "fun" in the CG, don't ask why, I just get that impression. The flight aspect is a tad more dim, either the C-130, or the helos (sorry can't recall the names of the helicopters are the other jets). I don't mind flying helicopters at all, but the overall possibility of any flight position seems dim because of the coast guards overall size. Also, does anybody know of a CGROTC program, or must you go through OCS?

Any insight/suggestions are welcome.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

USCG has OCS or the Coast Guard Academy. Normally, if you're not a previous military pilot transferring in, Coast Guard officers are required to pull a year or two of sea duty prior to going to flight school, but others would know better about this than me. USCG is at the front line of almost everything these days, being as they are a law enforcement agency as well as military component.

USAF navigators are mainly systems operators these days, vice being classic navigators. Their numbers are becoming few.

To the best of my knowledge the CG does not have any ROTC program, BUT you may be able to latch on to an OCS billet from an ROTC gig for another service (call a recruiter)

If you are going to fly in the CG and you want to be at the freat lakes you have a very small chance, two air stations are in Travers city and Detroit, neither are very big and fly the Dolphin H-65 helos no fixed wing.

If you want to go to the great lakes and Not fly you would fare a little better but the CG has the highest officer to enlisted ratio of the armed forces but the majority 98% of those with commissions are touching salt water. the enlisted side is somewhat better.

An excerpt from an email I recieved from a USCG recruiter.

..."You will have to apply and be selected for OCS. Typically you may apply for the flight program after completing at least 2 years of service as an officer. Selection for the flight program is based on your performance and requires a command endorsement."...

MKC Harry Rosa
Recruiter in Charge
USCG RUITOFF Sacramento

If the recruiter said you need to enlist in order to apply for OCS, he is "pulling your leg" just so that you will enlist. From my personal experience, I find some recruiters to be very aggressive... and leave some facts out (unintentionally or intentionally
confused.gif
).

Here are all the methods to become a Coast Guard Officer: http://www.gocoastguard.com/officerindex.html

Check out CSPI.

Hello everybody and thanks for the replies.

I have considered CSPI, however in a piece of information I recieved from the Coast Guard, it says it is available only to "Students attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities, member schools of the Hispanic association of Colleges and Universities". Is it available to students who are neither black nor hispanic? Could I possibly be interpreting the info wrong? Thanks for your help!

[ QUOTE ]
Application Eligibility Requirements:

1. Score a 1000 on the SAT or SAT I, 23 on the ACT, or ASVAB GT of 110 or higher
2. Be between 21 and 26 years of age at the time of your college graduation
3. Must be a sophomore or junior (with at least 60 college credits completed toward your degree)
4. Enrolled in a four-year degree program at an approved institution with a minnimum 25% minority population
5. Meet all physical requirements for a Coast Guard Commission
6. Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better
7. Be a U.S. Citizen

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to #4?

Wm226, yes that would be the item I am referring to. However they word it differently in the literature that I recieved.

[ QUOTE ]
If the recruiter said you need to enlist in order to apply for OCS, he is "pulling your leg" just so that you will enlist. From my personal experience, I find some recruiters to be very aggressive... and leave some facts out (unintentionally or intentionally
confused.gif
).

Here are all the methods to become a Coast Guard Officer: http://www.gocoastguard.com/officerindex.html

Check out CSPI.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe the recruiter said he had to enlist first, but I DO believe the USCG requires 2 years of service as a ship's officer (sea duty) prior to going aviation, if taking an initial commission.

Mike,
You're right. That's the context the email was written in (2 years before going into or being selected for an Aviation slot). I didn't paste the entire email into that post. Sorry.

Scott

As a helo IP, I see a lot of Coasties. The Academy grads generally have done 2 years of sea duty before going air. The OCS guys can go directly into aviation.

[ QUOTE ]
have considered CSPI, however in a piece of information I recieved from the Coast Guard, it says it is available only to "Students attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities, member schools of the Hispanic association of Colleges and Universities"

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that discrimination against white people?

Back