Coast Guard Aviation Question

SeanD

I have a cousin who is graduating from college next month and wants to pursue aviation in the Coast Guard. Does anyone have the scoop on what it takes to get there? Is it competitive? What would his next step be once he is done with college?

I always got the feeling that USCG pulls pilots from other branches, or officers already serving - more so than the other branches. I'm sure someone on here can correct me if I'm wrong.

I met a crew chief (or whatever they call it) on the Jayhawk who spent a few years on that aircraft and was going to OCS and then onto a pilot slot in it. I was amazed by how much that man knew about how that helicopter worked.

Your friend can apply for a commission in the Coast Guard and seek a flight school slot. Check out Baseops for better info.

The Coast Guard does have a large percentage of inter-service transfers for their pilots.

I always got the feeling that USCG pulls pilots from other branches, or officers already serving - more so than the other branches. I'm sure someone on here can correct me if I'm wrong.

(Edited after reading about WIFI above)

Four paths to a Coast Guard cockpit. Pilots (including former military pilots) receiving direct commissions, officers selected for flight training after commissioning, undergrads with semi-guaranteed appointments to flight training, and inter-service transfers.

Unlike the Navy and AF, most Coast Guard officers that are selected for flight training have completed a non-aviation tour before being considered for a very small number of flight training slots.

With only ~200 aircraft, the Coast Guard is a tough path to a cockpit.

Last edited:
Back