Clothing

Josh7

This is going to be my first winter on the line. What do you guys recommend I purchase to wear? I live in the midwest so it is going to be very cold!

Under armor, long underwear, coveralls, big winter coat, a good hood on that coat, nice waterproof boots, extra pairs of socks for when your feet get wet, the new style ermuffs, double layered gloves (two gloves on one hand)...I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of that I have. Oh, and lots of layers.

A comfortable, form fitting, insulated thong is a must. I have 3, but i believe the ones with pink stripes keep you warmest.

I would definitely get a Carhartt Jacket, great, durable work jackets that keep the warmth in and the cold and wind out. Try to get some good but cheap boots, nothing beats Thinsulate and Gore-Tex boots, 10 inch works great. I got a good pair for around $70, waterproof and warm. Your feet will thank you for spending $70. Don't forget moisture wicking socks or wool ones. For gloves, nothing beats Mechanix. Good warmth and they have a good feel. I like a thin benie for my headware. The key is layering so you can manuver well. I like thermals (any kind, I use the cheap stuff and it works fine). I don't have a uniform so its usually just jeans with long thermal underware, thermal shirt, sweatshirt, then a jacket. If it gets really cold, get Carhartt bib overalls to so your back stays warm.

WOOL!!!!!and carhart stuff!!!!!AND YES LAYERS!!!!!everyone already gave alot of great info,a face mask is a must or ballancava,right now here in kansas its around 35 degrees and the wind is rippin from the north at 15 gusting to 20 (COLD!!!!!)

Hehe have fun with that...
I love the Los Angeles winters... It gets down to a shiver-inducing 45 on the worst nights ;)

Wool socks. :nana2: I can't stand having cold feet. While cotton maybe comfortable it really isn't a good material. Wool will keep your feet warm and wick the moisture away if your feet sweat.

Also if your required to were safety shoes find a pair with composite toes rather than steel. That steel toe acts like an ice box on your foot. One year I finally gave in bought a pair of Red Wings with a composite toe. The difference is unbelievable!!!

Under armor, long underwear, coveralls, big winter coat, a good hood on that coat, nice waterproof boots, extra pairs of socks for when your feet get wet, the new style ermuffs, double layered gloves (two gloves on one hand)...I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of that I have. Oh, and lots of layers.

Couldn't of said it better. Long johns bottoms and top. If you can't afford carhart I'd still recomend overalls of the wally world persuasion. I got some knock of dickies that work just great. Come to think of it i've only worn them on the ramp twice since I got my wind pants. I have a hat scarf thing too. It's like a hood but pretty much covers my face and nose if I pull it down. Don't forget sunglasses too, snow can be bright sometimes.

Whoever you're working for will usually provide a uniform to wear. I was issued a winter vest, parka, wind pants, polo shirt and cargo pants. And I took it from there with the layering.

Thick camping socks and work boots and I use gortex gloves, haven't failed me yet. I think wearing two pairs really hurts dexterity.

So from head to toe inside to out: Long under wear, thick socks, cargo pants, wind pants, polo, boots, sometimes I wear the vest, parka, hood/scarf, knit hat, gloves.

I would probably wear more if I was inactive say camping or hunting but on the ramp you're going and you don't want to start sweating bullets under to much other wise hypothermia will set in.

Get yourself some 180 earmuffs. You won't even know they are there.

Attachments

• 180EarMuffsL.jpg
    180EarMuffsL.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 237
Back