climbto350 or willflyforfood??

Slot Pilot

I'm considering signing up for one or the other, but I can't afford to do both. climbto350 has a special for May only, $60/year membership.. willflyforfood is also $60/year.

Again, can only afford one or the other - any suggestions on which might be better/
fwiw, i'm at 1205 total hours, but don't have 135 mins.. still about 30 short on the night and instrument (am working on it tho, slloooooooowly but surely)

wfff... BLOWS ... up into little pieces (keeping it PG).

BTW: Never signed up for either, I just know the forums are full of idiots

I'm against WFF on a philosophical basis based on their name. I don't want to fly for food. I want to fly for money, and as much of it as I can get.

From what I've noticed I doubt you'll find a lot on either website at the moment. If money's tight, you may want to hit up some of the free websites looking for jobs and hold off an a subscription until more jobs are out there (I doubt your return on your $60.00 investment will be anything at the moment, unfortunately, until the economy turns around a bit).

That being said, if I had to choose one... I'd choose climbto350. It seems like it has a lot better reputation and most companies/pilots know it a lot better that wfff. The bad: more pilots will be searching on there. The good: more companies seem to post on there.

Good luck

I canceled my account on 350 and WFFF last year. 90% of the post are completely useless postings (for anyone that doesn't have an ATP and a few thousand hours of turbine PIC time) overseas for captains and FO's on B777-300's and so on.

I agree with the above post...save your money and go with whatever free sites you can find, because neither on of those are gonna be helpful.

climb350 cleaned up their act after I emailed them for reposting years old jobs.
I can't verify the overseas stuff,...
I just let mine lapse, seems not enough to get me of my $60

Neither!

Job boards are completely worthless. I find it disgusting have to pay to VIEW jobs and enter career fairs and whatnot. Climbto350 is not worth the money, unless you are looking to get a job overseas. WFFF posts the same jobs as any other job board. A lot of them post recycled, outdated ads, and that is what you are paying for. The best way to get a job of course is Networking! Use the Members only section right here on Jetcareers. I've been posting a lot of jobs lately that I have found without those pay to view jobs that are credible, current and FREE!

I find it disgusting have to pay to VIEW jobs and enter career fairs and whatnot.

How is this any different than buying a newspaper to look through job postings for a local job?

The internet has made job searching a lot easier the last decade, especially with the number of free sights out there, but I don't see anything wrong with paying for a website that posts jobs (provided it's a good website). I wouldn't really recommend it with the number of free sites... but I don't see anything wrong with it.

I've bought many newspapers looking for jobs (and even surprisingly got a flight instructing job in arizona that was posted in the paper- talk about lucky on that one) and I really don't see the difference. I suppose I could drive to the library to look through the paper, but it's a lot easier walking to the gas station and paying the 50 cents than it is to burn a dollars worth of gas going to the library.

How is this any different than buying a newspaper to look through job postings for a local job?

The internet has made job searching a lot easier the last decade, especially with the number of free sights out there, but I don't see anything wrong with paying for a website that posts jobs (provided it's a good website). I wouldn't really recommend it with the number of free sites... but I don't see anything wrong with it.

I've bought many newspapers looking for jobs (and even surprisingly got a flight instructing job in arizona that was posted in the paper- talk about lucky on that one) and I really don't see the difference. I suppose I could drive to the library to look through the paper, but it's a lot easier walking to the gas station and paying the 50 cents than it is to burn a dollars worth of gas going to the library.

You see, when Al Gore created the internet, it was suppose to be free. It would be paid for off advertisement.:sarcasm:

Just because it costs the guy money to use web space on a server doesn't mean it should cost me anything.:sarcasm:

Neither.

You're basically paying someone to do an internet search for you. Your best job search tool is a cellphone, an email address and the occasional lunch down at the airport on the weekend.

You needn't pay for job leads when you have a decent network of people.

Networking is free and you'll hear about opportunities weeks before they hit the internet and one of the major jobs sites claim it as their lead and demand payment to hear about it.

Yup, I said it! ;)

Yes, but how much was the newspaper? $0.50? $1? Like Doug said, you are paying someone $15/month or $60/yr. to search for jobs, when you can do it yourself for free. And if you haven't noticed, a lot of the job sites re-post their ads. You can pretty much forget the job boards anyway, because it is too competitive right, and I bet most of the time the job has already been filled before it is even posted. I'm unemployed and furloughed and can't afford to spend $60/year to look at useless jobs or pay $109 to enter a career.

Neither.

You're basically paying someone to do an internet search for you. Your best job search tool is a cellphone, an email address and the occasional lunch down at the airport on the weekend.

You needn't pay for job leads when you have a decent network of people.

Networking is free and you'll hear about opportunities weeks before they hit the internet and one of the major jobs sites claim it as their lead and demand payment to hear about it.

Yup, I said it! ;)
This is all well and good if you're only interested in a job at your local airport but I have to say this won't always make ends meet. The last four jobs I've had I got off of Climbto350-jobs that weren't advertised anywhere else and couldn't have been had through networking. Living in the east I would never hear about jobs out west regardless of how many freight dogs I know.

Unfortunately, while I do see the value of 350 in a hiring market, it is absolutely worthless right now, and unless some things really change in the next few months, I will not be renewing my membership.

If you are typed in a few airliners and have PIC time in them and would like an overseas job, there are endless postings for the like. Other than that, nothing that applies to most of us here unfortunately.

CT350. Really 5 bucks a month is worth it. You spend more on coffee a month and at least gives me something to read when I'm bored. You do get the occasional good ad, it basically got me my oversea's job (buddy replied to 350 ad, then got me over) so why not. Just my opinion.

=Jason-

Yes, but how much was the newspaper? $0.50? $1? Like Doug said, you are paying someone $15/month or $60/yr. to search for jobs, when you can do it yourself for free. And if you haven't noticed, a lot of the job sites re-post their ads. You can pretty much forget the job boards anyway, because it is too competitive right, and I bet most of the time the job has already been filled before it is even posted. I'm unemployed and furloughed and can't afford to spend $60/year to look at useless jobs or pay $109 to enter a career.

First off, sorry to hear you being furloughed. It's way too common at the moment. I did figure that at the moment it was not worth it for anybody to pay for climbto350 unless you have a lot of TPIC, etc. and I think I said that in my original posting. But, at the same time, my point was I don't see anything wrong with paying for a website devoted to aviation jobs. Personally, I have subscribed to them in the past but no longer do, as I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty good and enjoyable job at the moment and have little desire to move. And, I actually did get my current job through networking, although the person I 'followed' to this job actually submitted his resume through 350. So, in a roundabout way, 350 has helped me out a quite a bit.

You're right, if you can't afford it don't do it. My only point: it's not like you're selling yourself to the devil by subscribing (it's not like you're doing the PFJ thing) to a job website.

To each their own I guess. I hope all works out for you.

For a different perspective:

I got my last gig from climbto350. The company is small enough that they weren't (to my knowledge) posting anywhere else...certainly not on their website. I had 0 TPIC. This was when times were better, though. My new job I found on...jetcareers!

Back