Cleveland Hopkins is second-worst medium-sized airport in North America, according to J.D. Power

Oxman

Being my home base, I never had a problem. People are nice, never a baggage problem, parking is fine and cheap. Get rid of Dunkin Donuts and put in a Starbucks. But they do need a bigger food court area.

For the complete list: jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-north-america-airport-satisfaction-study

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cleveland Hopkins International Airport is the second-worst airport of its size in North America, according to a traveler satisfaction survey conducted by marketing firm J.D. Power.

Only Kahului Airport in Hawaii scored worse among medium-sized airports, with 4.5 million to 9.9 million passengers a year.
Airports are scored on a 1,000-point scale, assessing traveler satisfaction across seven categories: airport accessibility, check-in/baggage check, security, food/beverage/retail, terminal facilities, baggage claim and immigration/customs.

Cleveland’s score was 755, down from 769 a year ago and below the national average of 762.

The best medium-sized airport was Indianapolis, with a score of 833. Officials at Cleveland Hopkins did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the survey results.

The best “mega” airport, with 33 million or more passengers, was Detroit; the worst was Newark. The best large airport, with between 10 million and 32.9 million passengers, was Portland, Oregon; the worst was New York LaGuardia.

Cleveland Hopkins welcomed 9.64 million passengers in 2018, making it among the larger medium-sized airports in the survey. City officials expect more than 10 million passengers to travel through Hopkins in 2019.

This is the 14th year for J.D. Power’s North America Airport Satisfaction Study. Overall, satisfaction with North American airports remained unchanged from a year ago, largely due to major construction projects at numerous big-city airports, including Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago and Atlanta.

ael Taylor, travel intelligence lead at J.D. Power, said in a press release. “This translates into a rushed passenger experience and less money spent on food, beverage and retail — and it’s slowing the progress of the airport satisfaction we’ve seen in the past several years.”
Cleveland’s poor ranking comes in contrast to recent improving marks from the Airports Council International, an industry trade group. Hopkins was named the “most improved” airport in North America in 2017, and results continued to increase in 2018.
ACI surveys are conducted at the airport and ask travelers about security, “finding your way,” check-in, airport facilities, airport environment and overall satisfaction.
J.D. Power surveys are conducted online, and include responses from 32,276 U.S. or Canadian residents who traveled through at least one U.S. or Canadian airport during the past three months. The study was conducted from October 2018 through September 2019.
Best and worst airports in North America
Mega (33 million or more passengers)
Best

Detroit
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Las Vegas McCarran
Worst
Chicago O’Hare
Los Angeles
Newark
Large (10 million to 32.9 million passengers)
Best

Portland
Dallas Love
Tampa
Worst
Reagan Washington
Honolulu
New York LaGuardia
Medium (4.5 million to 9.9 million)
Best

Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Buffalo Niagara

Worst
Hartford Bradley
Cleveland Hopkins
Kahului

Being my home base, I never had a problem. People are nice, never a baggage problem, parking is fine and cheap. Get rid of Dunkin Donuts and put in a Starbucks. But they do need a bigger food court area.

If you want Sbux, you can walk down to the United gates and get some, absolutely do not take my DD away from me!!!

Less than a mile from my house there was an old school jewelry store and less than a block away from it a Burger King. The family owned jewelry store closed its doors after 40 years of doing business. I remember dealing with the owner, his name was Sal, when I would buy my wife gifts. He lamented that none of his kids wanted to take over a profitable business so he sold the building, to Starbucks. They came in and transformed the place into what you'd expect. A few months later that Burger King mysteriously closed and then reopened as a Starbucks, two competing Starbucks on the same side of the road on the same block. The old Burger King Starbucks eventually won and the old jewelry store Starbucks closed, probably based on the convenience of the drive-thru. Now we have no jewelry store and one less option for convenient drive thru food (I've never been a fan of Burger King, but it was easy to grab something if I was in a hurry). I can count on one hand the number of Starbucks coffees I've had. Starbucks sucks.

Back