Cleared to Deviate

JDP

When a controller says cleared to deviate when able direct destination do you report when your done deviating and back on course? I'd always done that as a common courtesy to the controller, but i flew with a guy yesterday that hated doing that. His argument was that you may need to deviate again and they've already given you "when able direct destination" and you may need to deviate again so don't tell them when your turn back to your destination.
What are everyones thoughts?

I'd tell them when I turn back on course. When you're told to descend at your discretion, you let them know right? Why not let them know when you're returning to your cleared route? If nothing else, it's common courtesy.

Most of the time the controller will agree to a heading, ie, cleared to deviate 20deg to the right, when able.

Not a controller but I would not turn to a heading and then turn again without advising the controller.

When a controller says cleared to deviate when able direct destination do you report when your done deviating and back on course? I'd always done that as a common courtesy to the controller, but i flew with a guy yesterday that hated doing that. His argument was that you may need to deviate again and they've already given you "when able direct destination" and you may need to deviate again so don't tell them when your turn back to your destination.

Standard for me is: "deviation left or right of course approved, direct bowling green when able, advise on course". If they don't report back on course by the time I have to hand them off, I ask, "are you direct bowling green?" If they say "no", I let the next controller know.

We would all appreciate you letting us know when you're back on course but I can't see out the windows of your airplane so if you say you have to deviate, I guess you have to deviate.

HD

Most of the clearances Ive been given are similar to that: 'Cleared to deviate up to 10/20 degrees to Right/Left/Right or Left, direct LANDR when able, advise on course.'

Most controllers will issue some sort of restriction if there is any traffic in the vicinity.

Myself its usually a reply to a request to deviate:

"Deviations Left/Right approved, when clear of weather proceed direct FIXXA, advise direct"

This accomplishes a few things:

1.) It provides me with the security that he will not cross the opposite side of his track from which he was cleared.

2.) He/She will not turn 40 degrees back to re-intercept course, which could compromise separation if there was an aircraft running close behind

3.)By advising me direct, I know they are finished deviating and I now know I don't have to advise the next controller of any deviations, and I can now predict traffic based on their current track.

To answer the original question, yes please do advise the controller that you're now direct/back on course, I would strongly suggest that if you return to course, and 10 minutes later deviate again without informing the controller you can expect at the very least a verbal going over, correct or not its a professional courtesy.

I ask them to advise when back on course.

What I question here is the part he may need to deviate again. Is this like a minute or two or are we talking 10 minutes down the way. The way I understand it, is that once you are back on course, you must request to deviate again. And now with the FAA saying they are going to start pushing pilot deviations
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/ControllersAsAirspacePolice_198538-1.html
that is if this is true. I asked at work yesterday about this and no one knows yet.

My personal fav I used to use in the US with airmass style storms was "request left and right deviations, and we'll remain within 5 nm of our present course". That was just cause it gave me the most flexibility to head down the road instead of turning right, further right then joining another arrival....

I'd stay inside the full scale deflection of the CDI since the LNAV deviation was displayed linearly, and not an angular deviation like a ground-based nav solution.

The problem with writing up pilots every time they screw something up is that you are risking your own behind if they happen to find some phraseology mistakes when the tapes are pulled...

From what I've seen, and my older co-workers tell me, on many occasions when pilots have been written up for messing something up the controllers end up getting some sort of reprimand for something unrelated on the tapes, thus many pilot errors go un-reported.

My favourite was a controller who tuned up a pilot about cancelling IFR on his own and cut in visual on approach without advising the controller, and the controller ended up being forced to write an apology letter to the pilots for "Unprofessional remarks" (The remarks were not verbally offensive just a touch over the top) even when the pilots were in clear violation.

Then again things are different here in Canada than in the US, up here the airlines are our "Customers" so while safety is never taken lightly items such as this fall into the "Nobody was in danger let it go keep them happy" Which I have a hard time understanding since it's not like we have competition.... [/rant] Sorry...

The problem with writing up pilots every time they screw something up is that you are risking your own behind if they happen to find some phraseology mistakes...

From what my co-workers tell me, on many occasions when pilots have been written up for messing something up the controllers end up getting some sort of reprimand for something unrelated on the tapes, thus many pilots mishaps go un-reported.

My favourite was a controller who tuned up a pilot about cancelling IFR on his own and cut in visual on approach without advising the controller, and he ended up being forced to write an apology letter to the pilots when they were in clear violation...

Agree, but we get remote monitored at different times, so we have to watch that too. Like I said, so far, we haven't been brief, so things go on as normal.

Back