Cleared 27 Right, Sidestep 27 Left?

Check AIM 5-4-19 for more on this.

Beautiful, thank you, Sir.

Maybe a controller can jump in here and clear this up but according to the controllers where I am at they cannot issue a sidestep in approach clearance. They have to issue it as a circle e.g. cleared for the ILS 27R circle 27L.

Thanks for posting this. VFR or IFR, I'd like to get clear on both - if there is such a distinction to be made.

Controller, please?

You need to stop making this more complicated than it really is.

You are looking at this from the standpoint of someone who has been doing this [flying] for years [probably].

If I told you that you can make $1 billion dollars by "trading with the trend" [the truth] of any financial market, if you emptied your child's college fund immediately and you made a single trade with the trend and walked away with your first $20 million cash in hand; you'd be kidding yourself and probably well on your way to losing it all if you thought it was going to be that easy all the time.

Was there any truth in what I told you about the trend? Absolutely, yes! No doubt. But, the minutia inside the trend is what will take that $2 million you just made AND the entire college fund with it, down the drain.

Why? Because you don't have the years of experience necessary to fully understand what the "trend" really looks like from the inside-out. And, until you do, you will forever be behind the Trader's Power Curve constantly falling behind trades, trying to play catch-up. Your cash becomes "liquidity" for the rest of us who have the years and the experience under our belts and who know when the trend is about the change and why.

That's why I'm here.

I'm not trying to complicate things. I'm trying to understand things - there is a huge [massive] difference. When you don't know a thing, you are supposed to ask questions, in depth, until you "get it."

If I don't "get it," how can I perform it. If this forum is not for asking such questions, I have no problem with not asking such questions. I apologize for bugging anyone here with these trivial questions. Maybe I should abandon this process on this particular board and allow you guys to get on with more meaningful dialog.

Hubbs, thanks - but I'm going to end my participation in this thread.

Beautiful, thank you, Sir.

No problem. Best to send you to the source.

Thanks for posting this. VFR or IFR, I'd like to get clear on both - if there is such a distinction to be made.

Controller, please?

A sidestep is part of an approach. There's no reason to fly a visual straight-in to one runway, just to be told to sidestep to the other. Now, if you have 27R and 27L, and only 27L has an instrument approach with sidestep minima, you could very well fly the approach to 27L and sidestep to 27R to land....if for whatever reason 27L is unavailable for landing or if requested.

How it's actually stated by ATC, I've heard both ways. I've heard it as a circle as well as a sidestep.

I'm not trying to complicate things. I'm trying to understand things - there is a huge [massive] difference. When you don't know a thing, you are supposed to ask questions, in depth, until you "get it."

If I don't "get it," how can I perform it. If this forum is not for asking such questions, I have no problem with not asking such questions. I apologize for bugging anyone here with these trivial questions. Maybe I should abandon this process on this particular board and allow you guys to get on with more meaningful dialog.

Ask what you like, there's nothing wrong with that. But one thing I do see you're doing, constructively speaking, is making things far more complicated than they need to be in order to understand it, and in the process, you're confusing yourself more and going off on thought tangents you don't really need to waste the brain bytes on. Later on, when you do understand the idea, that would be the time to break it down to an equation you'd like to since the basics are understood. IMHO, your losing focus on the main point, that's all. Again, not a slam, just a constructive observation.

Take for instance, say, ILS approaches. I don't know or need to know how to build a localizer transmitter and antenna system, just how to use it properly and it's limitations. It either works or it doesn't.

You are looking at this from the standpoint of someone who has been doing this [flying] for years [probably].

If I told you that you can make $1 billion dollars by "trading with the trend" [the truth] of any financial market, if you emptied your child's college fund immediately and you made a single trade with the trend and walked away with your first $20 million cash in hand; you'd be kidding yourself and probably well on your way to losing it all if you thought it was going to be that easy all the time.

The fundamentals of comodity trading are very simple, are they not? So are the fundamentals of flying. The application of those fundamentals in a VERY complex enviroment takes a lifetime to master. That applies both to finance and flying.

Did you start out making multimillion dollar deals? I'm guessing not. Small low risk deals where you mastered your ablity to catch economic trends. Likewise I would advise you to start out with the aviation equilvant of a lemonade stand. Focus on those fundamentals that you will need wether you are flying a 747 or a J-3 Cub. As you master each step you will be much better prepared for the next complex level.

If you think I'm overstating this, take a look at the USAir crash last month. The crew did not do some super complex feat of piloting skill. They simply did exactly what a student pilot must demonstrate, an emergency landing after engine failure. They just did it in a bigger faster airplane. No time to do any complicated calculations, or reflect on complex areodynamic theories. They just had to eyeball it and fly the plane mostly by feel.

My advice is to go get started. Start taking lessons in a Cessna (or similar airplane) and much of this will begin to be clear.

Was there any truth in what I told you about the trend? Absolutely, yes! No doubt. But, the minutia inside the trend is what will take that $2 million you just made AND the entire college fund with it, down the drain.

Why? Because you don't have the years of experience necessary to fully understand what the "trend" really looks like from the inside-out. And, until you do, you will forever be behind the Trader's Power Curve constantly falling behind trades, trying to play catch-up. Your cash becomes "liquidity" for the rest of us who have the years and the experience under our belts and who know when the trend is about the change and why.

That's why I'm here.

Wow glad we could help...

Back