Class E extensions

LatitudeDancer

Do class E extensions of class D airports also turn to class G if when the tower of the class D airspace closes the Class D airspace turns to class G? Or does it remain class E to the surface? I've got what I think is the answer, but there are some people in a CFI class who see it another way and we're out of places to look for answers. I know I read it somewhere once, perhaps an AC. I don't really care either way but I'm about to go postal if people don't stop arguing over something pretty irrelevant (relatively speaking) and am looking for a good, quick way to shut them up.

Do class E extensions of class D airports also turn to class G if when the tower of the class D airspace closes the Class D airspace turns to class G? Or does it remain class E to the surface? I've got what I think is the answer, but there are some people in a CFI class who see it another way and we're out of places to look for answers. I know I read it somewhere once, perhaps an AC. I don't really care either way but I'm about to go postal if people don't stop arguing over something pretty irrelevant (relatively speaking) and am looking for a good, quick way to shut them up.

From the AFD Legend:

NOTE: AIRSPACE SVC ‘‘TIMES’’ INCLUDE ALL ASSOCIATED EXTENSIONS.
Arrival extensions for instrument approach procedures become part of the primary core surface area. These extensions may be either Class D or Class E airspace and are effective concurrent with the times of the primary core surface area.

Just to make sure you are aware not all Class D's turn to Class G. Some remain controlled as Class E.

From the AFD Legend:

NOTE: AIRSPACE SVC ‘‘TIMES’’ INCLUDE ALL ASSOCIATED EXTENSIONS.
Arrival extensions for instrument approach procedures become part of the primary core surface area. These extensions may be either Class D or Class E airspace and are effective concurrent with the times of the primary core surface area.

Aha, disco. I knew I was right...and now I remember reading it here a year or so ago. Wow, 17 v. 1 (including a chief). What a pain and waste of time. Thank you though...

It becomes class F airspace.
joking aside, does class F exist anywhere? All I've seen about class F is that it is N/A in the US. That kind of leaves it open to mean that is out there somewhere...just not here. Anyone?

joking aside, does class F exist anywhere? All I've seen about class F is that it is N/A in the US. That kind of leaves it open to mean that is out there somewhere...just not here. Anyone?

It does exist. ICAO defines it as as uncontrolled airspace where IFR and VFR flight may be conducted and ATC will provide separation for IFR aircraft so far as practical. Germany has class F, among other countries. That's about all I know about it.

Canada has Class F airspace. There, Class F includes a group of what in the US we generally call "Special Use" airspace. I think the terms they use are "advisory" and "restricted"

Aha, disco. I knew I was right...and now I remember reading it here a year or so ago. Wow, 17 v. 1 (including a chief). What a pain and waste of time. Thank you though...

Wow, I think I could stump everyone at my school with this one. Good work, tgrayson and LatitudeDancer.

Back